Repair Errors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:48 AM
prixor

Repair Errors

A few weeks ago the side carrier bearings went out on my silverado. I took it to get repaired and after looking at it, the shop said that I would also need a new ring and pinion. I told the owner at least three times on the phone to make sure to put 4.56 gears back in. I got it back and as I was driving home, I wasnt able to get my truck to shift out of first. This was because my jet chip had to be reset because they jumped it at the shop, but thats not the big thing. After numerous times of telling them to put 4.56 gears back in they put 3.73 gears back in. There is also a knock coming from the rear end again after only 3 weeks. Is this sign of a bad mechanic? I should have some way of getting them to do the work for this shouldnt I? considering they put the wrong gears?
please help me out here.
Thanks,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:44 PM

Re: Repair Errors

Damn right....if you told em numerous times to replace with specific gear ratio then that is all a guy needs to know. The fact that it is knocking again already is a sign that your mechanic is NOT capable of doing rear end work....which is not uncommon. Take it back and make them fix it right since you are this deep into it with them....if it takes 2 or 5 times, they owe you a job well done
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 11:38 AM
prixor

Thanks Cosmo, we should get together sometime. I am not positive that they put 3.73 gears back in, but my speedometer reads wrong, especially at higher speeds. I was going 55 on the highway according to my speedo, and I called my friend who was behind me and he said he was going 75, so that kind of led me to believe that there are wrong gears in.
I am also wondering what kind of problems you guys have had with your rear diffs on lifted trucks. I know that sometimes repairs are going to have to be made, but I dont intend on replacing bearings every three weeks. Have any of you had this problem before? What can I do to prevent it from happening?
If the gears are in fact 4.56 like I requested, then there would be an error with my JetChip SCU2000. I have not touched it since I unhooked the battery to reset it, but would I be able to have them replace that, since it was working when I gave it to them and it isnt now?
I know that shops wont warranty big trucks like mine, but isnt there some obligation for them to do it correctly in the first place?
Sorry this ones kinda long, Any questions just ask.
Thanks
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 11:40 AM

Was there a work order written up? Does the order say anything about the replacement of gears? Or the ratio? If not you maybe SOL. The guy that you talk to on the phone my not be the guy that does the work. The hole in the communication maybe the reason that you are in the position that you are in. Make sure you save all the paper work and hopefully this is a shop that will work to make you, the customer, happy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 11:48 AM
prixor

There was an invoice written at the end, but no work order, or at least not to my knowledge. The invoice just says 'ring and pinion gears' without the ratio or part number. There are only a few people that work at the store, and only one mechanic. I talked to the owner whenever I brought it in. When we were talking he said I may have to replace the ring and pinion. I said that was alright just make sure to put a 4.56 gear back in. I actually had to call him later that day to find out if I was in need of a new ring and pinion. Shouldnt the mechanic or owner be doing that, not ME? Anyways, I told him to go ahead and do it but make sure to put 4.56 gears in. I called numerous times over the next few days seeing progress, which wasnt taking place. I can remember saying 4.56 many times but I guess I wasnt clear enough.
I hope that this company will work to make the customer happy..but I have heard many bad reviews about them...probably wont be taking it there again.
Thanks
Josh
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 AM
Miller

is this 2wd drive truck.

if so then the shop should have been easily able to toss 456 in the rear.

if 4wd then theyre obligated to replace gears with the crrect ratio to match the front.

is the rear end howling or just clunking.

either way id take it back and ask about the rear end issue. if its 2wd drive then asky why and if they didnt put 456 on it. also you might pull the cover and see foryourself what ration is stamped on the ring gear.

on a side note. never take truck from the shop home and then later bring it back because you find something wrong. more then likly it was doing it as you left theyre parking lot.

take the mechanic for drive with you around the block. and dont even take the truck home.

we all know we as normal people can screw stuff up on our trucks. but we dont need to pay someone 45 bucks an hour to screw them up for us because we can do that for free. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 03:12 PM
prixor

No 2wd truck. And I told him to put 4.56 gears in the rear because the front drive shaft isnt connected.
This could be considered good and bad news I guess..
This morning I was driving home from school, at a stoplight and starting to accelerate and SNAP. I was a mile away from home so I just took it slow, and had my brother come tow me home whenever I got to the neighborhood because the knocking had gotten really bad. I took the rear diff cover off to discover the spider gear smashed and many teeth from the ring gear in the bottom of the diff. I went to the shop I had the work done by to discover that the r&p are under lifetime warranty along with the install kit, and the labor will be free, but the spider gear was from the Eaton differential which is non-replacable. I talked to the owner earlier today and he said that there is a good chance that its a warrantiable item. I also asked him if they would replace it if wasnt under warranty because it was, in effect, their fault for not setting the ring and pinion right and he said that there was a chance of this.
I was actually surprised at how nice the guy was about all of it. On my previous encounter with him he was a big *******, but this time he changed a lot.
Thanks for all your help, please leave any comments or suggestions.
Thanks
Josh
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 03:37 PM

I would have them warranty all the parts that they broke, get my money back and go to another shop. You know it is bad when the owner says that the gears "may" have been set up wrong. Good luck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i cant belive that they were set up that bad and it was unoticable when you picked it up.

maybe the clunking finaly begame noticable after it was lowder than awful howling the the screaming teeth were makeing as they began to grind themselves from the inside out like a meat grinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode