fuel pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:03 PM
sierra98

fuel pump

I have a 98 sierra 1500 5.7L. I want to know if I can replace the stock fuel pump with an in line one with out cousing to many problems? I spent $400.00 replacing mine the week after I bought the truck, and i'd like a cheaper solution if I have to do it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Re: fuel pump

I wouldn't do it, unless you want to redesign the fuel tank. First thing you would need is a custom fuel tank sending unit that has just a level sensor, tube and a sock on it, then set it to the right internal sump height in the tank. Then you have to wire the level sensor properly into the vehicle harness for it. You would also have to make provisions for the pressure sensor if so equipped on your moudule. Then you could possibly make an inline pump work. You can't just hook one up to the existing line and try to pull fuel through the modular unit that is already in there. The fuel pump in the module would restrict fuel flow to the inline pump.

Don't want to spend 400 dollars on a module next time? Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com and pickup the same module there. Then you will pay about 260 for it instead of 400. They will sell you an OEM fuel pump module at GM employee pricing, whether you work for GM or not.

Here is a little tip so you don't burn up the pump you have in there now. DON'T LET THE FUEL LEVEL DROP BELOW A QUARTER TANK! Any less than a quarter tank and your fuel pump will not be cooled properly by the surrounding fuel. Makes sense? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Gimpy

Krayzie makes a good point. Don't do it on that year of vehicle. If the truck was carbed, I wouldn't see any problems in doing it. In fact, in my 78 Blazer I have an inline electric pump in. Works great. But on a 98 it is way too involved to try to do something like that. Go to gmpartsdirect.com and get your unit there. Same quality part for half the cost. Just make sure it is installed correctly. Also, just to be safe I would also install a new wiring harness for the pump, as recommended in the FSM. Sometimes things can get full of junk and can cause poor performance. Like Krayzie a also said, don't let the fuel go below a quarter tank. I learned that one the hard way on my truck. Bite the bullet and do it the safe way, especially if this is your DD. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Miller

mix a quart of yamalube 2stroke in a tank of gas every so often to keep the fuel pump good and lubed up. it coulnt hurt and youl never notice the oil in the gas. wouldnt be bad on the piston rings and cylinder walls either.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 05:43 PM

yeah, great idea....for pre96 vehicles. I'm not so sure i would do something like that on a vehicle with so many sensors. i mean hell, if fuel pumps regularly go over 100,000 miles without adding oil in the gas tank then why would the repalcement pump need it. keep the 2stroke oil in the weed eater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode