DAMN...the DexCool gremlins got me... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DAMN...the DexCool gremlins got me...

I went out into the shop to pull my Tahoe out this morning...hmmm what's that silver dollar sized puddle that wasn't there when I parked it? Damn, it's orange.

Circled in red is my culprit:

Now I'll be searching the archives to see just how involved the intake manifold gasket replacment is. I see a Chiltons in my future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1407358-TahoeIntakeGasketHighlighted.JPG (68.1 KB, 59 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: DAMN...the DexCool gremlins got me...

AHAHAHAHAHA Same place mine leaks, I also noticed last I changed my oil that it was dripping out of the back and down the block... Two common places. Its relatively involved, because of all the **** atop the engine, hoses, sensors, cables etc. Basically you have to take whole topend off, then scrap all carbon crap build up off the ports. I will be doing mine this summer, when ever I order some headers. I seriously do not think it is dexcool, its just crappy gaskets GM uses, and I heard the dealer sells different types than what they came with, also heard felpro gaskets are good. Should take about a day to day and half.

Have fun.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, GM has improved the gaskets, the newer ones are better than the originals. I got a Chilton's today for it, and holy **** is this a big process. I've got to unbolt the a/c compressor, but not disconnect the lines, loosen the a/c compressor mounting bracket, but do not remove...there's like 30 friggen steps to disassembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 04:27 PM

Hence the reason I've just been putting water in it when I get low. Shops want like 300-600 bucks to do it. And there is no way I'm paying that, rather it be at the least a learning experience doin it myself.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:36 AM

It is not hard to do.....did my 98 SUB a while back.....be careful and label everything. TAKE YOUR TIME....you do not want to go back and do it again because it leaked again. I also did pretty much everything else a guy could do while in there...complete tuneup, belt, hoses, flush, etc....only thing I didn't do that I regretted was a waterpump. Mine started leaking a month or so later so I hadta tear back into it....

Local shops around here wanted $500-$600 to do it... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Seems I remember having a hard time getting one intake bolt to clear the ac compressor bracket....the bracket would not move quite enough to pull the bolt out but it would come loose...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:35 PM

thanks for the reminder.. I need to flush out the dex-crap from my wifes Tahoe, now that it's out of warr. and replace it with the green.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 03:20 PM

Before you guys get rid of original stuff......remember that the main reason for it is that it is formulated for use with aluminum and to cut back corrosion on it.

It also has nothing to do with the leaking intakes....that was junk gaskets compounded by a not so good design...

I personally am sticking with Dexcool....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I just recently had the whole cooling system flushed and had it replaced with new dexcool. I talked to my mechanic about it and he told me about how it was formulated for better aluminum protection (like Cosmo mentioned), so I stuck with it.

I think I'm gonna fire my truck up and park the Tahoe for a while. I went over it with my mechanic and it is a tedious 5-6 hour job (@ $55/hr), I think I'll watch things and pony up the dough for the professional to do it soon.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Gimpy

What I don't get is why don't other manufacturers run DexCool in their engines. Everyone except GM will have nothing to do with it. Honda is pulling from GM because they don't want GM using DexCool in their engines anymore that they put in the Saturns. Personally, I wouldn't run it in my vehicle. Sure, GM backs their reasons on why they run it, and sure it seems legitimate, but it also seems fishy to me that no one else will touch it. Yeah, I know that the GM gaskets are junk, but I think they would have a little longer life if they ran the green stuff. Until someone shows me some pure facts, I will always be weary on DexCool. Just my two cents!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before you guys get rid of original stuff......remember that the main reason for it is that it is formulated for use with aluminum and to cut back corrosion on it.

It also has nothing to do with the leaking intakes....that was junk gaskets compounded by a not so good design...

I personally am sticking with Dexcool....

[/ QUOTE ]

Then all of the gaskets used by GM suck.. because I have had a leak with everything that flows water, except the waterneck where the T-stat is.

I wonder how much of a problem corrosion is if you're running green with distilled water? I don't put tap water in my system at all.

I think I'll take my chances with the green. I've already had my share of issues while using the dex-crap. The only advantage I have ever heard about dex-crap is it has a longer life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode