bought my trucks brother today - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

bought my trucks brother today

ran across a deal to good to pass up.

truck is a 93 glorified halfton, reg cab long bed, 14sf rear, auto tranny equipped with ac power windows door looks and the hol shabang. truck looks to have been taken care of. paint is flakeing just like my 89 but the cab is way better shape. it hasnt yet been drug across the rocks or through trees and sage brush.

its got 120k miles on it wich is no big deal. plans are for a 4" susp lift. 35x12.5s mounted on 15x8 black rock crawlers. the truck is silver with a blue stripe down the side so the black wheels should look good.

so far i dont have any plans to do a straight axle swap with this truck. i just want it to be a good daily driver. ill save that kinda stuff for my 89.

i do have plans to get ahold of a 4l8e sometime soon but i think ill run this tranny into the ground first. never had truck with an auto tranny so i dont know how its gona go.

might paint it silver and get rid of the blue to match my 89 or maybe all white im not sure yet.

either way im kinda exscited ill be getn it registerd and insured tommorrow so i can start driven it.

kinda glad i still have all the front end parts from the 89. like the moog idler arm and pitman new shocks all around all that stuff that no longer worked on it because of the straight axle.

maybe i get the 35s under it with no lift at all and get some pics of the rear tires tucked under the fenders under flex.

its kinda cool going into this after learning alot with my 89. t-bars willnot i repeat will not be cranked to gain tire clearance. fenders will be molested at the very least to get tires to fit.

later all have a great night

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 04:01 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Re: bought my trucks brother today

That's awesome that it has the semi-floater rear end. Are you sure it doesn't have a 4L80E in it already? Just curious. Oh, also, if you're going with 35"s, why not get a 6" kit? They're hardly any more expensive & you probably won't have to cut at all. Get us some pictures!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

semi floaters are a dime a dozen around here. the local salvage yard has a few and only want 200 for them. my 89 has one and theres ton running around town with them and alot of trucks at the car lots have them. they arent made of gold or rare and hard to find.

as far as lift height. might just run a 3" body lift i have and the 35s. i can get the 35s to clear with minor fender trimming and alot of bumper cutting with only 3"s of lift.

my 89s gona be running 38 or 39 with only 6"s or less lift. i dont see any since in the world to go 6"s to fit small 35s.

but i may end up with a 6" kit and run it at 4"s to keep cv angles as flat as possible. im not known to be very easy on ifs front ends. and a steep or moderate cv angle only makes things that much worse.

when my 89 was ifs i was running 35s on 8 wheels. i made enough room to run snow chains on the front and clear with only minor rubbing on the inside of fender under compression and tires turned at full lock. this was with only a 3" body lift and flat cv angles.

that and i dont care to be tall. and 6"s looks alittle tall on most trucks running around town. that and id be inclined to toss some tires to big for the front end to handle. 37s i know will go easy. might even be doable under 4"s of lift and more bumper cutting and fender persuasion.

as far as pics go. there might be pics of my 89 floating around. sitn on 3"s and 35s. i dont have scanner to scan pics so cant post any.

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 09:55 PM

Glad to hear you found another pickup. and 120k for an early 90s?? That's pretty good. I know what you mean about not doing things to this truck that you did with your previous truck. I was going through old pics of mine, and through some brief lapse of sanity the other day when I drove by a dealership, I considered getting another 88-98 chevy 4x4, and I thought of the things I'd do differently or how I'd mod it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

im not going to do a hole lot difrent, but im gona stay away from the mods that alter the truck for good.

i havent drove it yet but i think 35s will go with no lift. it has over loads in the rear that are comeing out and im gona pressure wwash all the paint off that i can.

im still shocked at how good a shape its in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode