MagnaFlow or Gibson cat back kit? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

MagnaFlow or Gibson cat back kit?

I have an 03 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 Short bed Extended cab 5.3L with am AEM high flow cold air intake set up that I am looking to put a cat back kit on. I have to stay with single outlet since I do not wish to interfere with my spare tire or my trailer hitch. My question is if you had a choice between the MagnaFlow cat back kit of the Gibson cat back kit which would you go with and why? Both are a 2 1/2 pipe into a 3" chrome tip and hang in the factory location with facory hardware. Is one better than the other?

The local muffler shop pissed me off when they did my 70 Chevelle and then again when they did my 72 Dodge Demon drag car. So screwem this time I am doing it myslef.

Let me know which way you think I should go...once I get the exhaust on I am planning a Hypertech Programmer to get it runnning just right and on the cheap gas!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 04:02 PM

Re: MagnaFlow or Gibson cat back kit?

I would go with neither, but my opinion is very biased. I absolutely love my borla exhaust. Single tip that exits out in the factory location. I have borla headers and h/o cats with all custom piping done from the header collectors. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Borla kits are nice....but extremely pricey from what I have been pricing. That's why I was looking more at the other two kits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Man am I shocked no one has any thoughts on this?

Well here is what I have narrowed my choices down to:

(1)Magnaflow's single side exit (same as stock) cat back this is a 3" tube with a 4" tip

(2) Magnaflow's dual exhuast rear exit cat back this is a 2 1/2" tube with a 3 - 3 1/2" tip

(3) Gibson's single side exit (same as stock) cat back this is a 2 1/2" tube with a 3 - 3 1/2" tip.

Any thoughts on this....Demon71
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 09:47 AM

I would go with the Gibson then. It is reasonably quiet but looks good. Never have heard anything about magnaflow, so I don't want to diss that.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

why not buy anymother you want and get prebent tail piupe from the exhaust shop. most shops have pre bent mandrel 3" pipe hanging on the walls in difrent exit angles. normaly they have 45 and 90 degre bends where the pipe exits at the rear.

ive gone this route about 3 times now. just think if i was spending the cash it takes to get a cat back kit 3 times.

as far as mufflers go ive pretty much decided they all work. ive ran flowmaster, spinteck, magnaflow, vortech, flowtech, glass packs, turbo, straight pipe,

ive also ran with no tail pipe, tail pipe exiting in front of the rear tire, and a full tail pipe exiting behind the tire.

ive dicided a tail pipe is better than no tail pipe, a good flowmaster cant hardly be beat for sound, ive only ever ran the 3" single.

next set up will be headers and dual flowmasters. spitting through 2.5" pipes tide together with an x pipe and exiting under the truck just past the rear axle. that way i get atleast a few feet of tail pipes and its not so prone to getting drig across rocks and little cars.

Evan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:04 PM

I have a magnaflow single out put 3". It is just the regular muffler. No fancy special chrome or anything, I don't have the model number. It exits in the stock location and is about as loud as the stock. Maybe a little louder but better sounding. I got it because I ripped the old system out on a rock, stump, then on the driveway when I got home. I was about 150 out the door if I remember correctly, for mandrel bent 3".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode