AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGG!!!!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

I have got to be the unluckiest guy in the world. My dad was driving my truck earlier this week cause he needed to haul his tractor tire into town to be fixed. My rear left wheel fell off the dang truck at like 40 mph. WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?! I can't believe it. Just 2 weeks after getting my new tires and wheels put on.

So, people have come up to me and said something about having to tighten lug nuts on aluminum wheels like a week after having them installed. Re-torquing them is necessary, they say. This true? I've never heard that.

Anyway, the tire slammed into the side of my truck and dented the heck out of it. The rotor slammed into the pavement and ground it all to pieces. I had to claim it on my insurance. This is gonna be thousands of bucks when it's all said and done.

Keep your distance from me, you might burst into flames or some other insanely retarded accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM

Re: AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear. I haven't really heard a whole lot about the whole aluminium thing and retorquing them. I guess if it was a big deal the people who put them on should have told you and they would do it for free. If they were supposed to say that but didn't I would stick them with the bill. Sorry again, you stay in your state and I'll stay in mine and I think we wil be ok, at least with the whole catching on fire thing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:33 PM
lawdog022

Sorry man, but definately a requirement after about 200 miles to retorque... good luck and i would look at the tire store and they should have told you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:53 PM

I worked at Penske Tire and Auto before they closed their doors, and the policy is after 50 miles they need to be retorqued again. It sucks, but its the nature of aluminum once it gets warm to allow the nuts to slightly loosen again. I know what its like to have a wheel come off going that fast, my black truck did it last year going about 80 down the freeway. It was dark and I didnt see where the tire went. Next day I found it on the opposite side of the freeway almost 1/2 mile away from my truck! That ball lower ball joint is now a part of the lower control arm, never to be removed by man or machine. Just be thankful no one was hurt. Very fortunate!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Yes yes....the fact that my dad is OK didn't escape my mind. In fact, I wasn't even pissed at first, just thankful. Daaaang...80 mph. Forget that. My tire only went 50 yards or so.

So it's true about re-torquing. Yeah, they should have told me that. The thing is, he's a friend of the family. We work it out in trade. He owns 3 alignment shops in the city, and he likes to bring his family to my place to stay in the cabins and go fishing. I got the mount and balance, plus an alignment for free. Then, he replaced a bunch of parts on my front end for relatively cheap. I do plan to call him and let him know what happened. Maybe point out that his employees need to remind people to do that.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 12:40 AM
IchWarrior

When I bought my wheels, the instructions stated to retorque them after 50 miles. Their explanation was also that the aluminum will expand, or get worn in.

Hope you get it fixed soon...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:04 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Sorry to hear that man! Retorquing aluminum wheels is a policy at Sears too where I work. I've never seen or heard of a wheel actually falling off that a Sears has worked on, but I try to always tell people to retorque anyway, just to be on the safe side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode