Posi-Lock Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Posi-Lock Questions

I think my thermal actuator may have gone out on my 90 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. I'm debating on replacing the thermal unit, if it is bad, with the after market cable controled system. I believe it is called posi-lock. My only concern if that I live in MidMichigan and I'm wondering if the snow, ice and freezing rain in winter would have a negative effect on the unit. If ice forms up there or frozen mud will it disable the unit? Any body from the cold country area that has one could you please advise me if this is a good unit, or should I stick with the thermal unit or look for something else? If I should look for something else is there anything else that you have used that works in these conditions.

Thanks..
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 10:50 AM

Re: Posi-Lock Questions

Well.....look at it this way.....the original one (I assume it was anyway) lasted 15 years.....is that really so bad? Why not replace with the same unit and hopefully it will last another 15, not bad if you ask me.

Beats monkeying with a manual cable type....personally I wouldn't do the cable for that reason and the reasons you mentioned.

I know I have had e-brake cables freeze up on me before....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 04:49 PM

Or... for the best of both worlds upgrade to the servo motor style that came on the 97's or so and newer. If you go to a Chevy dealer and ask for the stock actuator they will tell you its no longer in production. For about 150 bucks they will sell you a special wiring harness that you wire into the t-case select switch, and the new electric motor style actuator. It makes 4x4 kick in instantly and its also very reliable. I did this to my 1993 K1500 and it was one of the best upgrades I ever did to it. Its costly, but then so is a posi-lock cable actuator. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:47 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I live in Illinois & I have had pretty good luck with my posi-lok. The trick to it is getting the cable housing to stay in place so the cable travels through it smoothly. I would say either get a posi-lok or get the 97+ electric actuator. Both would work well, but the posi-lok gives you 2-wheel Lo capability, and peace of mind that YOU control when the front axle engages. I like that about it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Journeyman

I did the same thing Krayzie did with the electric actautor, works wonderfully. The only problem I had was running a pair of 150 watt KC Daylighters, and my actuator on a single battery. It just didn't want to stay engaged, but dual batteries fixed that little problem.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:17 PM

i ran with the posi-lok in my z-71 for 2 years in michigan and didnt have any problems. i just dont like the idea opf electrical nonsense altogether much less on the axle where its wet and muddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode