I'm Back! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:50 PM
HomeBuilt_95

I\'m Back!

Hey guys, I am back. I bought a 99 tahoe, 5.7L Vortec, LT, with 245's(pizza cutters) and got rid of that piece of sh*! toyota. I missed all the power that a V8 has. I have a couple of questions for you guys/girls that have tahoes and have modified them.

1- What size tires are you running and what type of gas mileage are you getting?

2- Have you done any mods that have given noticable power or gas mileage gains?

3- Are there any problems or common flaws with this SUV?

Thanks a bunch guys and again let me just say that I am glad to be back on the chevy board. You guys/girls helped me out so much when I had my old 95 Z71 and I know that you will with this truck.

Thanks,

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 PM

Re: I\'m Back!

[ QUOTE ]

2- Have you done any mods that have given noticable power or gas mileage gains?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I bought a Samurai for better gas mileage [img]images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
3- Are there any problems or common flaws with this SUV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only have a sec so I can't cover it all....but here are a few flaws.

1. Intake gaskets (not a big expense to do yourself, but time consuming)
2. Weak rear end (10 bolt, which you have)
3. Brake problems, alot of people go thru rotors and pads left and right. The cure for this is to keep your rear drums adjusted nice and tight so they do their fair share of the work, the self adjusters only work so-so for keeping them adjusted. Since I started doing this I also have a stiffer pedal.
4. Soft brake pedal (see above for partial fix, below for cause)
5. Proportioning valve
6. Trans valve body
7. Driveline clunk (not a real big deal overall, just annoying, has to do with the slip joint in transfer case. there have been numerous "quick fixes" for it posted here and there but the real fix is replacing the sucker with the new and improved one (made out of different metal I think, forget the details off the top of my head)
8. Anti lock brake module problems

Good news is......they will last forever!!! [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Don't get me wrong....I am Chevy thru and thru....but they do have some issues....ask me sometime about the F-250 Super Duty Ford I bought a while back....only Ford I ever owned and it SUCKED....I had it about 8 months and traded on a Chevy.

Gotta go....may think of more stuff later.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 08:48 PM

Oh and "hey neighbor" [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a '99 Tahoe 4Dr 4x4 LT myself, all stock, even a new set of 245s. I think the other thing that seems to cause problems are the power door lock actuators on the passenger side doors. I remember there were other forum members with '99 or '00 OBS models that had problems.

There is a recent thread started about what people are getting for their economy.

EDIT: What color is your Tahoe?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 09:31 AM

Another thing....my 98' was involved in a recall for bum power mirror wiring....I would assume the 99' is involved too. You might want to check to see if it is taken care of yet.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
HomeBuilt_95

Thanks for all the replys. Hey 83GMCK2500, why did you decide to go with 245's instead of upsizing to at least a 265. I was thinking of putting one the two mentioned above on mine. I am also thinking about upgrading the exhaust and air intake.

And sorry that it took so long to reply but I was out of town do to a family emergency.

Thanks,
Justin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would've upsized, but I don't have a programmer to recalibrate the speedo. Myself I'd go for a set of 235/85s since I'm not after anything serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode