Knocking Noise: URGENT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 PM
prixor

Knocking Noise: URGENT

As I was running some errands earlier today, I noticed a slight knocking noise coming from the rear diff, getting more persistent as I drove along. The noise didnt occur as I accelerated, only when coasting, and only over about 20mph. When I got back to work I checked checked the driveshaft/diff out and noticed a little bit more play in the driveshaft than usual. It looks to me like the play is coming more from the diff, rather than the transfer case, and I think its just a carrier bearing, but I wanted to check with you all before I tore into it. I know its rather late, but if you all could help me out here, itd be AWESOME. I want to fix this tomorrow morning...
If there are any questions about the description of this, please let me know
Thanks,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 08:53 PM
prixor

Re: Knocking Noise: URGENT

Also, if anyone has a diagram of the rear diff and could post it, if its possible, thatd be great.
Thanks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Sounds similar to an issue I had with my 10 bolt in my old big Blazer.....started ticking and wasn't much longer when I tried to take off from a stop light the pinion gear broke 2 teeth off, I managed to get into a parking lot right there (I was 30 miles from home)....it destroyed everything!!! Good news was I used the opportunity to put a locker in the new rear end...I replaced everything but the axles and the housing.

Moral of the story, if it is clicking DON'T drive it till you fix it!!! If something goes, it will likely ruin everything. Hopefully you will get off easy and just have a bum bearing or something....but my hunch is you have a bigger problem.

(10 bolts SUCK) [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 10:02 AM

Hey....forgot to ask.....kinda O/T but did you ever do anything with that mismatched gear ratio up front?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 12:10 AM

i had a ticking noise once in the rearend as well. it was because i sheared off 3 teeth on the pinion gear. pop the cover off and check. also is the play you describe something as simple as the u-joint? i dont want to soundlike a jackass by saying that, but its cheap and easy to fix if it is...might be something to look into
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:11 AM
prixor

I dont think it is anything with the pinion gear..at least I hope not. The diff was just rebuilt a few months ago. And no offense taken u4ia4. I'm going to have a shop look at it tomorrow. Hopefully its something simple that isnt going to cost me a bunch.
And to answer your question cosmo, I havent regeared the front yet. Was planning to do it sometime in May hopefully, if this repair that I have to deal with now doesnt set me back too much.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode