Taking off front d-shaft, 91 k1500??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Taking off front d-shaft, 91 k1500???

Hey guys,

My front output shaft seal in the T-case is leaking. I went and tried to get the driveshaft off today and the damm thing wouldn't come off. I ran into a problem.

1. The driveshaft spins no matter what I put on it to keep it from NOT spinning
2. I have nothing to clamp to so removing the flange bolts is near impossible
3. I got frustrated and gave up [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Where the driveshaft connects to the trans case it's a flange of some sort, 4 bolts that hold it, but I can't hold it to loosen the bolts up and then I'll run into a problem trying to hold the yoke from spinning so I can change the seal. I'm wondering is there some trick way of holding the driveshaft so it doesn't spin? I thought about putting the truck into 4wd and loosen them that way but I dunno how strong that chain is inside the T-case (or gears if that's what's inside). It's a NP241 T-case.

Any help on this would be great. I got the seal, seal install tools, ATF, all the good stuff to get the seal out and a new one in but I need help on how to make it so everything doesn't spin while I'm trying to do this.

Any help would be great.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:52 AM
Journeyman

Re: Taking off front d-shaft, 91 k1500???

Yes the 241 is gear driven. All I've done is spray some penetrating solvent on the bolts [PB Blaster works great], put the truck in 4wd [make sure it's locked in while running], and start loosening the 4 bolts. Now disconnect from the front diff. yoke, and now the rear flange. If you can't get it off with a pry-bar or anything, jump in the truck, and SLOWLY drive forward [pretty much letting off the brake and let the truck idle forward], you'll hear a loud 'pop' that tells you the drive shaft has disconnected itself. Leave it in 4x, take off the yoke flange and replace seal. Process of course is the reverse. Before you put the rear of the d-shaft on, put liberal amounts of anti-sieze on both flanges, and a little on the bolts. It'll be easier the next time you take out the driveshaft.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:09 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I take it you're working without air. Air tools would be very useful in doing that job. I think engaging the 4wd would be the best route. If you figure that the chain in the NP241 has to move a 5000 pound truck, why would it snap under the load of a bolt that probably has 50 lb/ft of torque on it. Just what I would do. If you feel like your t-case would be in jeopardy, don't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:13 AM

Uh, 241 is chain driven not gear driven...

2nd, yeah you can just lock it in 4hi or 4lo and take the bolts off. As said above the chain handles 200 and something hp and 300 and something ft/lbs of torque pushing a 5k pound truck around, I doubt your going to do anything to it with a wrench on a bolt.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Journeyman

Ok, so it's chain, I've been told that it's gear driven so that's what I went off of.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:02 PM

Spray the bolts with PB or some rust penetrating lube. Put the truck in 4wd so the shaft doesn't spin freely. Then muscle the bolts off. Chances are you'll also need to pound the flanges loose from each other. As they're probably stuck together.

Another way to break the flanges loose is to remove the 4 bolts, leave the front of the dshaft attached to the pinion, then put the truck in gear and move forward or backward a couple feet so that the shaft spins off at the tcase.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

also make sure to do this in the mud snow and rain atleast ounce just so you have the exsperince. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode