IFS!...Hip Hip...ppphhhhhtttt! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

IFS!...Hip Hip...ppphhhhhtttt!

So what's new around here? Gawd I've been busy. So I take my truck into the city to get new tires and wheels put on and an alignment done. No time to look at it myself this time, but I know something's off.

$1100 later I got a new right wheel bearing assembly, both upper ball joints, pitman arm, and idler arm replaced. Oh, and the right front shock was blown, too. 110,000 miles....that's about right the way I drive (read as "use") it. Oh well. Dang, if only I had the dough, it would be a perfect excuse to do a SFA swap. Instead, I recently ordered a nice new hunting rifle that I NEED [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Anyone ever study the concept of "time-value of money" in an economics class or something? That sorta applies.

Oh...good news, though. I love my new wheels. American Racing Mojave with Teflon. All black. They're sweet. And I'm trying out the Trxus MT radials in a 285/75R16 this time. Much higher load rating...should last longer than the year those LTB's got before becoming slicks. Of course, who knows how long my suspension has been contributing to the problem. At least a couple months since I last had time to work on her, and I live out on dirt roads, etc., where you can't notice that stuff slowly going out. So, when I get my new digital camera back from the repair shop (see the trend here), I'll have to post a pic.

Everyone have a cool weekend. I'm gonna go downriver and play (read as "break in") with my new(er) suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 11:43 AM
IchWarrior

Re: IFS!...Hip Hip...ppphhhhhtttt!

Details on the gun!

I was looking at those same wheels, but it wasnt gonna fit in my poor boy farmer budget... oh well.

But I dont have any problem with dropping a grand (or more) on a new .300 WM...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

500 for the rifle a grand for the glass, isnt that how it goes. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

what kinda rifle did you order, must be something cool since you orderd it, maybe a cooper or kimber montana.

IchWarrior
what kinda 300 do you have, i recently snagged a tang safety ruger. hopen to get it glassed and shooting by deer season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 02:48 PM
IchWarrior

Im heavily eye balling a Browning A-Bolt Eclipse...

Reloading components are inbound, gonna have the rifle ordered in around May I think.

Im hoping to toast the barrel, send it off to Kreiger to get a new barrel, have them true up the action, fiddle with the trigger a bit and glass bed it.

Should take me a year or so, maybe 2 to get the barrel ate up seaching for a good load for it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

save some time money powder and bullets and just buy a used remington and build it right out of the gate. if you actualy rebarrel it wont because youve shot out the barrel.

i dont know how much you shoot but id be fairly suprised if you shoot it out in 2 years.

check into pacnor barrels if you havent already.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 05:01 PM
IchWarrior

Ive went back and forth for some time on this rifle, and I prefer the A-Bolt action to the 700. I know full well that Ill be lacking in parts to customize it with... The most noticeable is the stock.

Kreiger will tune the action, and there are aftermarket triggers if I really need to tune on it. I have heard from several other A-Bolt owners say that they are well built from the start, as good as the 700. Whether or not I can shoot well enough to justify a tuned 700 Action, well Ill never know. Im just thicked headed lol.

I know the .300's are hard on barrels, but I cant say I have a solid number on the round count till accuracy degrades. Im itching to try some 125 grain bullets, which are hard as hell on a barrel... but Ive just gotta blow something up with a light ole bullet light that.

Im prone to shoot 500 rounds from my .22-250 a year, my AR and VEPR see about 1000 rounds a year. Ill be interested to see how much I shoot my .300 WM. At 85 rounds per pound of powder... its gonna be an expensive one to feed, thats for sure.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

I custom ordered a .300 Weatherby mag. Camo stock, blackened stainless barrel, glass bedding the recoil lug, tactical scope mounts, muzzle brake, and a couple other additions. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Supposed to take 3 months to make it for me. Putting a $500 Sightron (most people don't know about these nice little babies) scope on it...mil-dot with illuminated reticle. About 3 grand total, yup. Trust me, I'm a poor country boy, too. I guess having 2 kids helps a lot on the ol'tax return. Yeah, there's no coincidence I ordered my rifle right during tax season.

All good ideas for those other rifles, too, and you'll save some dough. .300 is such a versatile round no matter who makes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode