voltage needle acting funny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

voltage needle acting funny

CAn any one help me with this...I recently changed my drive belt on my trcuk and two days ago I noticed that thetruck started driving like crap and the voltage needle would was fluxuating. I popped the hood yesterday to discover that half or the drive belt (with wise) had been chewed up and deteriorated to crap and there was about three inches of slack in the belt. I went to NAPA, got a new belt and installed it. Driving home last night I noticed that the voltage needle was still fluxuating.

It fluxuates when I have the turn signal on.

If I put the rear window defroster on the needle dips low lights dim but the trcuk still seems to run fine.

The alternator is about 1 1/5 years old and the Battery is 4 years old. Any suggestions and has any one had their truck do this before???

SERVORD

1995 2 Dr Tahoe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Re: voltage needle acting funny

High output alternator and good battery and my needle jumps around when I havethe turn signal on. I never really noiced it until I replaced the first battery in the truck. Take it over to AutoZOne and have them test your electrical and charge system.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:21 AM

IF you have a voltmeter.....set it to read DC voltage in the proper range for testing an auto battery....start your rig and connect it to the battery and read the voltage....now...have someone turn on your headlights for you....if the charging system is working right, you will see a dip in voltage as you turn on the lights, then it will rebound within a second or two and go higher than initial reading (somewhere in the 14-16 volts range if all is well)

If voltage does not rebound after a second or two when the lights get turned on.....you have a bum alternator/regulator....

Of course you need to solve that belt issue first....make sure all pulleys are in line with each other and check for play in the idler pulley....they tend to wear out.

BTW....my needle moves back and forth a tad when the blinkers are on too.....but just a TAD....maybe 1 volt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yeah id say the burning belts is more of an issue than the alt right now.

you should see what happens when you kick 2 kc lights on in the front two hella 550s in the back then flip the turn signal on. thats when shes drawn some juice.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

I went to Sears and had them load test the system. Everything came back OK. The needle is still dancing around when ever it wants to. I am thinking about getting a DELCO Alternator tossing it in for a day or two to see if the problem see if the problem persist. That should take about 10 minutes to do...I will also look to replace the cables going to the battery when it gets a bit warmer up here.

SERVORD
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:34 PM
shaBurby

i've had the same issue. had the system checked, said it was ok, so i checked all grounds, -redid those that needed it, and replaced the battery w/ a Optima YellowTop. That fixed my weird/random system drains, but my truck also has the turn signal problem. i can't even see my needle twitch anymore when i've got my 1400watt stereo blasting w/ the 2 JL Audio subs, however before the battery, my lights dimmed with the beat. check to make sure ur battery is full of water (if its that kind) or its up to spec for ur rig. ur battery might just be too old or corrosion may be setting in. check all grounds, and see what your current battery is rated for. most likely, it wont hurt to get a new, bigger battery.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Journeyman

I had a similar problem, but mine WAS with the alternator. I went through 3 or 4 of them before mine stopped doing it. It's most likely and internal voltage regulator problem, which is sometimes common. Mine passed the load tests and every thing. What also seemed to help, is to run a 12 or 14 gauge wire from a bolt holding the alternator in place to say the battery or another good ground on the block.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We had a similar funky problem with a truck at work, a first gen dodge/cummins. Ended up wiring in a remote regulator and a new alternator to fix the problem.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 07:07 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ya mine bounces too, when my subs are hittin hard... lol
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 02:00 PM

Mine used to do the same. Replaced the battery with an optima, now have dual optimas and a Mean Green Alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode