welding - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
shaBurby

welding

ok got a question. where did all of ya learn to weld? teach urselves? friends? school? classes? what?!how?! i really want to learn, it would make my decisions to do stuff a billion times easier... not to mention it's always handy for repairing stuff... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] thanks in advance for feedback, and suggestions or comments welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:57 AM
IchWarrior

Re: welding

Shop class taught me the basics, working on a ranch fixing things taught me how to weld the crap out of something untill its strong enough to get the job done.

I picked up a few arc welding techniques from a book a looked at for like 5 minutes from a guy I know going through a welding school.

I think a school and getting your certification would be the RIGHT way to do, provided you have the time and money.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 01:45 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I first learned the basics in AG in school, then later in college took a class. My father in law was a gas line welder for 35 years... so now if I have a question.. he's the "go to" man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Journeyman

I started at home when I was about 10 or 11 welding on trailers, buckets, grates, brush-hogs, etc. Man, did my dad love those stumps....... I took 3 years of it in high school, and have just recently started it in college. I got certified in High shcool, and 2 months prior to that, through one of the bigger construction companies in town. That and I've worked at a repair/fab shop for the last year. Mind you, I'm now 19, and it's what I want to do for a career. But there's alot of things you can learn besides welding that go hand in hand. Cutting torches are a god send, and allow you to do things you couldn't before. Find a friend who knows how to weld, and just go at it, unitl you feel comfortable to build stuff and not have it fall apart on ya. But do stay away from critical things like say roll-cages. Build workbenches, bumpers etc. Just little things that are useful. Besides, it never hurts to look in a book, and learn some things.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:50 PM
shaBurby

thanks for the info guys. i'm contemplating picken up an mig welder or tig, something like that, after i read up in a few books and watch a few movies. it's not something i neccessarily want to do for a living, just something i know will come in handy more than once
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Journeyman

If you don't want to seriously get into welding, just go with the MIG. No offense, but TIG is way beyond what you'll most likely be doing, and takes a while to know how to properly use it. It also takes more skill than stick or MIG. A SP-165/175 will do up 1/2" plate which should be more than enough. Buy name brand [Lincoln or Miller are the two most popular], and if you buy new, plan on spedning around $3,000-$5,000 for one [thats what a demo model costs up here for a sp-165/175]. Though not saying you can't find one for cheaper some where, or at a garage sale for instance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode