Just scored a 14 bolt sf cheap! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Just scored a 14 bolt sf cheap!

I scored a 14 bolt sf yesterday for $75. So far I know I need:

A conversion U-Joint
New axle plates/U-bolts
Brakes, seals, and gears

I'm about 90% sure the factory E-brake cables will work (I took them off and compared them, they're darn near identical). Is there anything else I need to do the conversion? It's out of a 2wd & I'm told that it is a slightly narrower axle, which doesn't bother me as long as it physically works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:34 AM

Re: Just scored a 14 bolt sf cheap!

Mine is out of a 2wd also. If you have aftermarket rims with bigger tires you won't notice the width difference. I went to the stealer for my u bolts and plates. They are spendy but I wanted the right ones. That axle is used in old trucks from the late 70's all the way up to the H2's. I told the parts desk I had a 77 3/4 2wd truck. They were the cheapest of them all. If you need brakes stuff go to AutoZone. I redid the whole system for like 80 bucks. New cylinders, springs, pads and had the drums turned. New drums will cost about 80 bucks or more if you need them. My locker was over 600 bucks and the install and set up was done for 100 from a guy in town. The 35 dollar u joint was the hardest part. I had to have it ordered from a driveline specialty shop. They are common u joints but hard to get a hold of. Good luck, I love my axle.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I posted the same thing over at FSC & they didn't give me half the info you just did in 1 post. Thanks! I was starting to worry that the 2wd axle would not work at all, but now that I know it will I'm relieved. It will probably be a slow process, but within the next 2 or 3 months I think I'll have it painted, new brakes (including drums unfortunately), new gears & seals & I'll throw it in the truck. I'd love to buy a Detroit, but $630 is freakin' steep! The attachment is a picture of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1395481-my14bolt1.jpg (151.2 KB, 66 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 03:09 PM

Hey, sweet deal you found. 4x4mike sounds like he's got you covered for info. Have fun with your new stuff [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:59 PM

I have a couple of pics just like yours, with the axle in the bed of the truck. I'll try to attach one. Yeah the Detroit is expensive but a locker was what I was really after. I didn't want to lock the 10 bolt or buy new rims andthen have to carry 2 spares so I went with the sf. It is 33 spline and way beefer than the 10 bolt. Go to a machine shop and ask them how far they can turn down a 14 bolt sf drum. Then go to the pick and pull and get some drums that aren't worn out, this will by far be the cheapest way to go. One of mine was too worn to be machined.
Does your new axle have the gears you need? If not seriously look into a locker. There are cheaper lockers for the axle, just less agressive. Some places maybe able to give you a package discount seeing you need a major install kit, R&P, and traction aid.
I have the part number for the u joint. I couldn't find anything online or from forums to help me with this. I had to go to the driveline shop with calipers and start measuring caps. I know it is a Neapco, the number is at my parents house.
It took me the whole summer to save for the locker and get the axle under the truck. Let me know how it comes along.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1395535-Brake.jpg (74.7 KB, 62 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 05:03 PM

All cleaned up. After this shot I took the empty cans to the recycler and counted my bills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1395536-Housing.jpg (159.3 KB, 39 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:30 PM

Since you got the axle for so cheap maybe you should shell out some coin for these http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index7.html

How did you get it for so cheap. I think I paid 275.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

One of the local junkyards here sells axles for $75 regardless I guess. My friend Corey found it in the bed of the truck it came out of on Saturday & called me right away. Monday morning at 8:00 we were there to get it. It was an 89' 3/4 ton 2wd. Who makes a full locker for this axle besides Tractech? I might still get a Detroit, but that price...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:48 AM

Sounds great. I have been looking for over a year now with no luck. I wish I could find one. Your so lucky. I'm jealous!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 08:56 AM

msf, if there are any 14sf outta a 4wd let me know. There is a junkyard locally here in Bloomington, IN but they are wicked expensive and $75 to buy isn't bad... Worse case scenario, new gears, brake linings, pads, etc... Should still come out less than what it would have costed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode