383 TBI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

383 TBI

Is it possible to have a 383 run good on TBI? I'm thinking about building one for my '86 Sierra. I have a stock '95 TBI off of a G2500, and know that I will need to have it bored out or get a bigger one. Would stock heads from like vehicle that have had work done to them fit the build up? I do plan on going aftermarket cam and intake, along with long tube headers, true duals, a burned chip and some other odds and ends. The truck is going to be a 1 or 3/4 ton depending if I can find a Ford D60 front for the right price. It'll have a built TH350. And either a NP241 or NP208 T-case. Other suggestions or things that I missed? I'm looking for all the input I can get. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:13 AM

Re: 383 TBI

Seems reasonable. Might have to have a custom chip made?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Yeah, I've been looking at www.TBIchips.com. I'm still not positively sure on having to get my TB bored, or if I just need bigger injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Can't Get Enough

This place sells bored out TBI's and I think they also custom burn chips:

http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=142
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 12:38 AM

i looked into this wsa well when i was considering my options. if its a TB from a 350 or a 305 it will be fine the way it is. a chip can be easily burned for your application. the guys at www.affordablefuelinjection.com i think thats the site were very helpful. all you need to do on the engine side is bore it .030" over stock and use the crank shaft out of a 400CID engine. the heads will work fine for you, but you may consider porting and polishing them (you can do a decent job with a dremmel tool) as long as the heads are of of the block. the injector size will be fine for you on the TB as long as its out of a 305/350.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Tstyles33

Okay.. here's the problem if you're going to build your own engine. I'm guessing you don't have the machines to do the machine work? If you do then ignore this entire post. But basically having an engine built is easier/almost as cheap if not as cheap as building one yourself. Take into account the machine work alone. I mean a lot of people can do the actual part to part construction but machine work is the hard part. I'm doing the same thing you're doing, 383 TBI. Or I'm just going to screw the TBI and put a vortec set up on it, I'm going to run vortec heads either way. But I would suggest going down and talking to a engine builder before anything else.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 04:49 PM

If you are building a 383 with a 350 block, it needs some work before it will be ready to install... granted a 400 crank WILL work, the block has to have some metal removed to accomodate the larger crank journals of the 400 crank. They do make a 383 crank that comes ready to install without having to modify the engine block, but its pretty costly. Letting a machine shop do the whole job is the best bet, especially if you spend the few extra bucks to have the whole rotating assembly balanced. That should get you a long lasting and reliable engine that will run like champ.

Do yourself a huge favor and locate yourself a set of stock Chevy truck Vortec heads. Those heads flow like nothing else, will bolt down to any Chevy 350 small block, and will put your acceleration and power through the roof. Edelbrock makes the conversion intake that will bolt down to the Vortec heads and still let you run your stock TBI unit. If you build this engine, put Vortec heads on it. You wont regret it!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I am having a machine shop do all the required machine work, and planned on getting it balanced. I was going to run some '95 350 TBI heads, because I've got another set out in the garage along with a matching computer and wiring harness. I am going to get the heads ported and polished. I was thing about a cam/intake setup to have it redline at around 6,500 rpm or so, with about a 2,500 stall converter. I was still contemplating on getting a 400 crank, and having it machined down to the proper size, or just getting a '383' crank. This is more of a longer term project anyways, so the more info I can get the better off I am for decision making. Thanks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

you can buy vortec 383s for bout 1500-1800. all youd need is the vortec to tbi intake manifold.

youl also need hig output fuel pump chip. you want larger better tbi unit desinged for the 350, not the 454.

there are also alot of other things that need to be done to make the truck run right. if you slapp it together with the stock fuel system and stock 350 tbi unit it will run but will more than likly run like crud. i actualy drove a truck that was set up this ver way. this truck took more money time and research to get it to scream. its not a slap together deal.

but if you take the vortech heads out of the equation then i think it might be doable with the stock tbi unit and highflow fuel pump with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator mounted to the tbi. keep in mind i have had any exsperince with the 383 tbi on stock tbi truck heads, im just asssumeing that the heads dont flow near as much as the vortech heads, wich in turn will require less air and fuel to run right.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Tstyles33

I'm planning on doing the same thing, 383 vortec. Anyone have any good sites for some really nice TBI's? I know that the stock won't settle for 400 hp and 500 tq. Hey.. it'll be like a chipped duramax. Haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode