MVI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 11:22 AM
prixor

MVI

So, went to get my silverado inspected so I can get plates, and apparently its 8" too high in the rear. Do I need to find someone to approve me or what? The previous owner has had it inspected with the lift on, so I'm wondering what he had done to get it inspected? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 11:27 AM

Re: MVI

How much lift is on it?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 12:33 PM

Of course it is depending on state laws, but the height is usually taken at rear bumper height and the front from the headlights. So, if by some way you can drop the bumper to the right level, you'll be good to go.

What are your lift/inspection laws?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 01:35 PM
prixor

It has a 6" fabtech suspension lift and a 3" body lift. I have no idea what the limit is, but the front is fine. The guy said something about it being 32"...so I guess it would need to be about 24" as the limit. Not too sure. What way would I drop the bumper down? any ideas?
Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 05:31 PM

From the FSC lift law thread (not sure how up to date this is):
<font color="blue">
MISSOURI

Here's another state that use GVWR as the bumper-height guideline. For vehicles 4,500 pounds and under, the front bumper can't be taller than 24 inches and the rear must see no more than 26 inches. For 4,501 to 7,500 pounds, it's 27 inches in front and 29 rear, and for 7,501 to 9,000 pounds, it's 28 and 30 inches. More info.
</font>

I looked more on Missouris site but like navigating any state law page, you can't find squat.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 05:51 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

8" too high? I don't know about that. If it was 32", then you'd only need to drop it 3" to get down to 29". Did you raise the rear bumper with the body? If not, you can take off the bumper lifting brackets and put the bumper back at the stock location (3" down). You could also get a drop-center bumper. You can also keep a spare (SMALLER) set of wheels/tires around to put on for inspections to lower the truck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:00 AM
Veteran

Just throw a couple sandbags in the bed to make it squat a couple inches.

Or borrow a set of 245's from someone.

Or let some air out of the rear tires.

If it really is 8" too high, you might have to use all 3 [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:35 AM
prixor

Ok, so the mechanic that did the initial inspection had no idea what he was talking about. I took it to my buddies dealership and the mechanic that did it there said it was only three inches too high, good call on that MSF. I am going to put a set of stock silverado tires on it and run up to the dealership and be done with it. Thanks for all your help. This site is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode