Performance rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Performance rebuild

I was wondering if there is a particular reason for me to run a high volume oil pump in a freshly rebuilt motor. I've been told good idea, and it doesn't matter. The motor is 350 going into a '93 K1500, used for DD, towing, off-roading, work, just the usual stuff. It would be bored 0.030 over. Also, any recommendations for for cams and intakes? Or if I should do a cam first and then intake? Or Vice-a-Versa? I was thinking Edelbrock intake and possibly cam, or a comp cam. Any info or recomandations on either or others? If you've got any other info, feel free to express it. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 12:53 AM

Re: Performance rebuild

well, if you've got it apart and are building it, do the cam first...you have it all apart. later on its plenty easy enough to swap an intake out. much harder to do the cam later. when considering the cam, I'm not the best guy to go for looking to get answers. i talked with the guy at the engine shop and told him what i was planning to do with it and what i wanted out of it. they deal with it everyday...i dont. some of the guys on here know cams pretty well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 08:25 PM

I don't know alot about cams, but I do know that if you get real crazy with the cam (as far as an rpm range goes) you'll lose vaccuum and low end performance. I personally would do the cam up front while the engine is apart. No sense in kicking yourself in the ass later for not doing it. You may find that under 6000 rpm or so you don't need another intake. Whatever you do you, you'll have to remap your EFI as well. That may be another cost determining factor. I think it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it though! Ihope it works out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 10:01 PM
cedjunior

Are you using the stock TBI set up? Most people like the Edelbrock #3704 TBI intake. Also a lot of people use Crane Cams POWERMAX 2030 camshaft. Do the camshaft first, much easier with the engine out. Also, don't use a high volume oil pump unless you are using a larger oil pan with more capacity, a high volume oil pump will suck the regular sized pan dry, especially if your oil ever gets a little low.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Yeah, I am using the stock intake, but I have decided to get the stock heads, ported and polished, and getting a cam. A buddy of mine and myself are just finishing a rebuild for a motor that blew in a van. The one that came out of it has practically brand new pistons, and I've still got a running block that we're going to tear apart. I figured around $500 or so for the rest of the build.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Addict

If you can afford it go with the Vortec heads and Edelbrock intake, you will not be sorry. For the money to get your stock heads to flow like the Vortec's you will have more money into them. Also look for a cam in the .440-.460 range with 206-212 duration @ .050 lift. This will give you great low end torque, and flow velocity for the heads. And don't forget the headers. Have you ever used an engine dyno program for your computer. (Dyno 2000) it will let you change components and graph out the changes every 250 rpm.
Well worth the 40$.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I asked the guy at the machine shop, and he suggested going with and older stlye head ['80's era], he said that they will flow much better, and work better with a cam and after-market intake. Talked to several others, and they seem to agree on that too. I'm going to look into it a little more, but that's sounding like a good idea to me.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:43 PM
cedjunior

L98 heads off of a TPI camero or firebird 350 will flow much better than stock and bolt right up to a regular intake with out having to plumb the egr or buy and expensive tbi-vortec intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode