Highway driving on Super Swampers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Highway driving on Super Swampers

My truck vibrates @70+MPH. I know it's the tires. I don't expect to be doing 100 or anything, but it's nice if you can get up to 80 to pass someone every now and then. Anyway, I have 36" TSL Radials balanced with equal. It's good up until 70, after that it vibrates. Is trying weights worth the effort or should I just give up because I have 36"s and deal with the vibration? Also are there any issues I should be worried about if the truck is vibrating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:05 PM

Re: Highway driving on Super Swampers

For what it is worth.....I had a set of 265 mud tires on my suburban for a short time and they shook that thing BAD at highway speeds. I ended up getting rid of them since it is mama's ride....she found no humor in it. AT type tires are smooth as silk on it now....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 02:20 PM
bowtiesno1

try bf's m/t,s i am on my second set of of 34.8's and i can go as fast as i feel i need to to pass and no vibe at all(80-100mph)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 08:51 PM
K5Blazerman77

about the vibration causeing damage, mine viberated so bad it broke the bolts off of my front drive shaft which made it fall off, but its different because i have full time 4wd
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

MSF

are those the radials?

if they arent radials then i sujest you dont worry about the vibes, if there radials id have a good tire shop balance them without equal.

egual is kinda like stop leak, its bandaid to fix a problem not the cure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Yeah, they're radials. I just don't want to use weights because they get out of balance so often that I need to rebalance them all the time & that's annoying. I'm really looking for a permanent balance but failing.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

get the tires good and hot then head to tire shop to get em balanced. i bet balanceing a cold tire versuses a hot drivn on tire is difrent.

make sure they put weights on the inside and outside of the wheel.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

Friend of mine uses these and swears by them. Similar concept to BB's or Equal but without the clumping or rusting/degrading the tire problem.:
http://www.innovativebalancing.com

I'll be buying some to do my truck sometime in the future. Two of the rims are untrue from the factory and I have A LOT of weight on them to keep them balanced happily.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Pull them off your truck and lay them on the ground on their sides for a while. Then take them to get balanced. Equal is a waste of money. As soon as it gets contaminated with dirt it clumps with water.

I've gotten all my TSLs to balance so far. Some take pounds and most tire shops piss and moan if they have to spend more than a few minutes balancing a tire. They like charging $40 for 15 minutes of work and get bent out of shape if it takes them another 15 minutes.

Worst case they have to dismount and spin a tire on the wheel and then add stick-on weights to go with the rim weights.

If they take a lot of time and they charge you less than $40 give them a few bones extra. They'll work that much harder than you next time.

EDIT:
I don't like the loose **** rolling around in my tires. It's hard on the rim and it's hard on the inside of the tire. The crap doesn't work until you get to 25-35mph and is actually causing your tire to be more out of balance until then. And then it still takes at least a mile to stabilize. So, if you do a lot of city driving you are pretty much never driving on balanced tires, just beating the crap out of them. Most of the time it actually does more harm than good for a city driven vehicle. Having crap rolling around inside your tire promotes death wobble I found out.

At a minimum, tires should be rebalanced at every third of its lifetime. For a bias Interco tire that's about every 3,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode