I GOT IT! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 11:24 AM
prixor

I GOT IT!

It has finally happened. I got the '99 Silverado. Hopefully be posting pictures and specs tomorrow.
I do have one question that I have already asked...but I'm rather confused about after talking to the previous owner. The front diff has to be regeared to a 4.56 because of the rear diff change. I was talking to the previous owner about it, and he said to change the gears, itd be about 1200 bucks..which I find hard to believe. I'm not sure if he was talking about putting in a whole new diff or what, but it just doesnt seem correct. I was under the impression that to regear, all I would have to do is buy a ring and pinion set and an install kit including bearings, plus the labor for it? Am I correct in thinking this? or am I going to have to shell out that kind of cash for 4wd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 11:41 AM

Re: I GOT IT!

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The front differential is not quite set up like the rear. The front differential splits down the middle, and I suspect it's slightly more labor intensive to set it properly. There's also the matter of pulling the differential completely out of the truck. If you don't do that part of it yourself and just take them the differential, the labor will probably be fairly significant on it. You will want to call around some of the local shops and see what they'd charge for parts, and set up. Ask for estimates of you pulling it and bringing them the differential only, or you dropping off the truck and them doing all of it. Just to be safe, pull the rear cover and make sure that they are in fact 4.56's in the back. You will also be able to change the lube and inspect the gears that way. It's a good idea to do it to any newly aquired purchase. </font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 06:58 PM

That does sound a little steep....but I am willing to bet it is not going to be cheap to have someone do the whole thing for you.....I would not be surprised if it was $800-$900 for the whole job.

Heck....bring that sucker over and we can probably do it.... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Like Sandman said....I DAMN sure would verify the rear ratio before buying ANYTHING for the front. If I remember right....it is an easy calculation.....

"number of teeth on ring gear divided by number of teeth on pinion gear = gear ratio" I would not trust the tag on the housing (if it has one) since you know he has been in there goofing around.

Is it the 99 old style body or new style body??????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:28 PM
prixor

If I were to drop out the diff myself, what kind of labor would I be looking at? I would definitely consider myself mechanically inclined, but is dropping it out myself something that I should tackle myself?
And thanks for the offer Cosmo, I may have to take you up on that.
Its the half year '99, so its the new body style. I should be getting some pics here tonight, so hopefully I'll have them up tomorrow. Ill be working on a website for it too. I am planning on replacing all fluids either tomorrow or next weekend, depending on how busy it is at work.
Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:29 PM

It surely won't cost $1200. If the original owner told you that, he's probably remembering the times when he inquired about a gear swap for the truck and he was asked if it was IFS. I imagine that's why he only did the rear.

Regardless of who does the install, you'll need to buy an install kit. If you're getting a shop to do it, that will be included in their total price. Make sure you get clarification for the cost of labor and the cost of parts. Like was mentioned in you other post, you can get front gears installed between $350-$450.

I would recommend that you remove the diff and take it in, instead of the shop removing it. The shop I talked to on my truck said that would be fine, and it would drop the cost $60, but that they would not be able to test drive the truck to make sure things were set.

Another option for you is to go on ebay or scower parts boards and see if you can find the diff with he gears already in it. You can get that and just swap them out. Check around with guys that did SFA swaps, they'll usually have that stuff laying around their garage and they'd be willing to part with it. Also check wrecking yards, although that might be a littler less fruitful since you're looking for 456s. 410s are availble at yards, no problem.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It surely won't cost $1200. If the original owner told you that, he's probably remembering the times when he inquired about a gear swap for the truck and he was asked if it was IFS.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is IFS [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] maybe I am not understanding your post.

Yea it darn sure shouldn't be $1200.....but it also WON'T be cheap....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:58 AM

IFS = Independent Front Suspension. That means the front end looks like bird wings compared to SFA = Solid Front Axle.

Gear swaps (front and rear) cost anywhere from $700-$1000, depending on the shop and costs of parts. The reason why IFS trucks are more expensive, as Sandman already stated, is because the front diff must be removed, split open to do the work, then reinstalled.

Yeah, I know it won't be cheap, I've already been through this on my truck. I went ahead and replaced the whole diff with one with the correct gears. Again, read my post. Only the front needs to be regeared now. Like I said, call shops. When I called around on my truck I was quote $265 for labor, then $90 for the install kit, and I provided the R&P(still have the dang things). You can get the job done for $350-$500. If I recall elementary mathematics correctly, 350-500 is half of 700-1000, which would only be common sense. You're only getting one diff regeared, not two.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IFS = Independent Front Suspension. That means the front end looks like bird wings compared to SFA = Solid Front Axle. [/qoute]

Yea I know that.... [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] and it is an IFS on a 99'....anyway.....

[ QUOTE ]
When I called around on my truck I was quote $265 for labor, then $90 for the install kit, and I provided the R&P(still have the dang things)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhhh.....you provided R & P.... that explains our different $$$$$$ figures....I was basing my $$$$ on not providing them. I bet that $1200 figure was just one diff....and it was for the whole shooting match....but like we have been saying....still too steep even for an in and out deal.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 12:38 PM

R&P does not set you back and arm and a leg. I bought my 4.10s $85 shipped.

Why the heck is a gear install cost so confusing for you?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:15 PM

Not confused at all....thanks for askin'.... [img]images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img]

I just know that alot of folks on here like to pretend stuff costs them next to nothing to get done....and that annoys me....when in fact the reality is **** AINT CHEAP....there is alot of [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] on here cuz everyone wants to act like they are too smart or something to pay the going rate when they need something done...many of them are stretching the truth. Just trying to give the guy buying the truck a dose of reality.
[img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode