rebuild, rebuilt, or crate? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:26 PM
shaBurby

rebuild, rebuilt, or crate?

well as i mentioned before, my ol' 454 is a little "pooped". i've been examening options and can't quite decide. i'm debating b/c of cost. rebuilding/hourly charge/parts charge/etc -rebuilt/stock engine copy/referb. or rebuilt parts/installation cost/etc -crate/completely new/not necessarily stock/stronger, more reliable parts/more power?. There are so many options to way, its giving me a splitting migrane and i'm wanting to throw something thro a window.... HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Tstyles33

Re: rebuild, rebuilt, or crate?

Crate, that would be my choice in your position. You can get a fairly in-expensive one with a decent degree of power. I would purchase a 350; think modability, fuel efficiency. There you have it, my idea on your topic. Plus I'm a huge fan of the 350, it's really easy to get parts for and is a pretty cheap engine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your truck is a daily driver then it will take longer to rebuild the motor because you will have to take it to a machine shop and get them to bore it out and everything. If you go crate then you can pull the old on put the new on in and have it running almost in the same day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 11:40 PM

Crate motors way to go! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] Drop it in and go. 3yr/50,000 mile warranty. Like the above just trying to find a reputable shop to rebuild your old motor can be a headache. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Journeyman

Friend of mine is rebuilding a 302 and it's only costing him about $1000. That's for everything, machining, pistons, rings, etc. a new crate depending on what you get short block, long block, will be any where from $1200 to $1500 plus shipping and tax, even then there's other parts you may still need, and still have to swap over.
350 or 454? Obviously the choice is yours. Yes the 350 has more parts availability, better gas mileage etc. But do you tow heavy trailers? If it were mine and I towed heavy trailers often, I'd go with the 454. It can handle the stress put on it by heavy loads easier than with a 350. Doesn't get as hot over long trips with a big trailer behind it. A 454 will get good gas mileage as long as you don't lay into it at every green light and stop sign. Remember, easy go's and stop's. But hey it's your choice, choose what engine for what you'll be doing more of.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 07:25 PM
shaBurby

thanks for ur input guys, its really helping along my way with a decision. thing is, i'm looking around online for crate engines (i'm going with a 454 no matter what [img]images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img]), they all seem to cost anywhere from 2000-15,000. 15k is obviously a huge race beast, which i dont need, but i seem to be missing the cheaper crates...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Journeyman

While your looking for crate engines, why not look into getting it rebuilt? Grab a summit, and a jegs cataloge and figure out what you might want to replace with something a little more performance oriented, but not drastically. Start calling machine shops and asking them how much they'd charge to do all the work. You may get close to $2000 or higher. But then you'd also have some more of what you want built in the motor. Besides it never hurts to look around and see what others may charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode