The engine..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

The engine.....

for those who remember me starting on an engine...yes it's still in the works.

My neearly free engine project is expected to hit about 3,400 US dollars by the time its all said and done.

What i will end up with. New edelbrock performer square bore carburator, sitting on top of an edelbrock aluminum intake. that runs the goods into a set of heads off of a 79 chevy 350 engine with ioversized valves, all new rockers, pushrods, spring.....well everything on the heads is all new.

From there the fuel enters a 350 4-bolt main engine out of a 70-73 camaro. The block has been bored .080" over....(making it a 366) i have not stroked it due to heat disipation issues. oil pump is high volume melling unit...melling dual roller timing set. all clevite bearing in the engine as i dont want to get into roller anything...not something i am assembling anyways.

According to the guy that owns and operates the machine shop...i should be right about 500 or so horsepower.

My transmission isnt gonna be able to handle that so a new one is being built from the case up. a good friend of mine writes the state of michigan trans certification exams, and happens to own a performance trans shop...hes building it for me at the cost of parts...which he estimates to be about 1,500 dollars.

In early march the new drivetrain will be dropped into the truck. and then the TV cable will be calibrated to allow for correct shifting.

The only thing i havent decided on yet is the exhaust system. I'm past the stage of rediculous noise and chrome tips and crap like that. What i do need is a way to get the exhaust from my engine out of ym truck. i dont have a set of manifolds for an SBC, so i'd have to buy them....and thers no point to that so headers it will be. as for mufflers, i have always liked the sound of 40series delta flows by flowmaster, but I dont care that much...Im' sure whatever i gop with will sound fine...i just want to be able to hear a rumble when i get on it...not resonnance at highway speeds.

If you have any suggestions regarding the exhaust options and issues, please feel free to let me know. I"m looking at everything right now.

and yes i know where to get chromolly shafts for my poor 10bolt.

I do have to have to eliminate my 4" rear block or i will have pretzels for rear leafs. New springs are always an option, but i think i might prefer a shackle flip...chime in with ideas please.

cheers.... [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:18 PM

Re: The engine.....

.080" over? How thin are your cylinder walls? Have them mag'd? Any reason for this other than more cubes? If you ever score a cylinder your going to have to find a new block...

And I would realllllly like to see the cam specs, head specs, and compression ratios that back up the 500hp claim.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: The engine.....

Have you already started this project? Spending that kind of coin on a cast iron small block seems kind of strange to me. You could cam a LS1 to make the same kind of power, have fuel injection, and be move drivable while having 150lbs less weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode