Inches of lift vs. Dollars - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Inches of lift vs. Dollars

I was thinking 6" and 35s, but I just looked at my buddy's truck with 6" and 35's (all Pro Comp) and the blocks under the middle of his frame rails drop his clearance about 4". So my question is "Is 2.5 inches under the axle and 4.5" under the frame worth the 3000 to 3500 one would spend?" Or should one go bigger in the beginning. I still gotta be able to tow... and sit on the tailgate and drink.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Tstyles33

Re: Inches of lift vs. Dollars

Good question, are you including the price for tires.. wheels blah blah blah. I was figuring on about.. 3500-4000 but i'm going to purchase wheels, tires and the lift. And I want to run the same size tires, i was going to attempt to do that with only a four inch.. but I doubt it'll work out to well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

4 wheel parts told me they would install a 6" pro comp for $1540. + $560. alignment $100. SSR Swampers $240.ea on Plain-ol black 8 lug 16s $50.ea. The figure would probably end up closer to yours by the time I was finished. The way everybody's talking though I'll be better off with something like the BFG ATs. If that's the case do I need that much lift & tire. Or maybe the question is do I WANT that much. I don't know that pro comp is the way too go either. I know one thing. I'm not gonna "just do some trimming".
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[ QUOTE ]
The way everybody's talking though I'll be better off with ...

[/ QUOTE ]
If you read more, everyone else is talking about how NOT to ever get anything made by ProComp, aka ProCrap; NOR to listen to much of what 4WheelParts (aka 4WheelFarts) has to say.

Go through the archives, there are a lot of "did it myself" lifts installed on here (the BBS). You'll save yourself a fair amount of $$$ from labor charges. Any specialty tools (required for installation) are available for rent at autoparts stores.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:25 PM

well, any IFS lift you put on will NOT give you great ground clearance. It is the tires that will. But in order to put hugongous tires on the truck (so you can break the IFS) but it'll look cool, you can now cram big big tires under there. Or you can trim your fenders and what not, and gain a little clearance with whatever tires you can get in the wheel wells.

If the bat, just get a 6" lift. And don't let 4wheelfarts install it. Don't even let them sell it to you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know that pro comp is the way too go either.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was me, right? The point was dollars vs. inches. If the fart guys are gonna sell me a piece of crap for 1500 then I would only expect to pay more for a good one (once again limited by my ignorance). I understand that to jam big tires under there is the point, and that's what I want to do... to a certain extent. I most likely won't be wheeling this truck. Not with a rust bucket Cherokee in the back yard. I have the means to do my own install. My buddy did his, and he's pissed because he didn't convert in the beginning. I'll not go any more than 6". I'd like to have 38s' but I'm not cutting on my truck because it's pretty. I just want to know if you all think I'll be dissapointed with 6" and 35s, because if you think I will then I'll go 3" bl, 33s for looks, and put a good mattress in the back with the extra money. KnowutImean? I do appreciate the advice though! Keepem comin fellers! Thanks! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry about that, I wasn't trying to come across as berating you. I have the same proclivites as you when it comes towards trimming, I don't like it. I think a 6" susp lift with 35s would look great. If I had the money, my Tahoe would have that.

Tuff Country:
4" System for 8lug 'burbans: $1,140
6" System for 8lug 'burbans: $1,250

RCD makes a 4.5"-6" system for 8lug Suburbans too, couldn't find a price. Looks like their kit includes bilstien shocks.

If the rest of the kits are similarly priced as the tuff country ones, it seems to be a marginal cost to gain the extra clearance.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Tstyles33

Okay small question here. I'm going to run a solid axle swap into my 89. I just purchase a lift for a 87 -.. 80? Or whatever. Right? If that's the case putting a solid axle conversion and a lift with it is just about as cheap as getting one for a IFS. But it'll be a lot stronger.. That's what I'm planning on doing.

But hey i'm a real dumb**** sometimes and way to drunk at the moment to make a probably correct assumption. This ting took me 15 minutes to type..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:24 PM

an SFA swap is more expensive in the end compared to an IFS lift. Sure you can buy a set of springs for $300, the SFA brackets for $750, the axle for ______, the steering for $500, ......

anyway, things add up, be prepared for nickle and dime parts to stretch your wallet.

BTW, burbanboy, you can't fit 38s under a 6" lift...unless you cut. You have to add a body lift or stay with 35s.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:38 AM

Actually I have 38.5x14.5 inchers on my K2500 with no lift at all and I haven't cut the body at all.

Oh wait I don't have the stock body... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode