2000 Z71 problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 10:48 AM
upnovr

2000 Z71 problems

Heres the scoop fellas, I recently purchased a black 2000 Z71 LT ext.cab pickup, fully loaded, very nice,and very cheap($14,500). Ive been driving it for about 6 months now and i recently started having some problems. First off the truck came with a 6" RCD lift and 35" bf all terrains. I am pretty sure it has stock gears. Okay here are the problems:

My fuel gauge likes to decide when it is going to show the right fuel level, sometimes it will just show empty and then it will show half and then all of a sudden full. This usually happens after I fill up and when it feels like it.

The other day I was at the local sand dunes cruising around on about 12 psi. I was doing just fine until I tried backing up. Thats when I noticed my front tires are not engaging in reverse in 4 low or 4 high!!!! This is weird.

One More. Has anyone with a RCD lift noticed that the passenger side tie rod tends to rub with the swaybar when you turn your tires to the right, even though the sway bar extensions come with the lift. Well i did and likewise on my buddys 2001 with everything the same as mine(except the punk has a whipple and gears). This ended up totally tweaking out my tie rod on a hard off camber climb. After a quick trail fix with an on-board welder we were on our way.

Long story short- get home, order new tie rod ends, put um on, Cant turn right cause now the tie rod and sway bar hit hard. So now Im cruising the streets with a piece of welded angle iron on a tie rod that looks like a piece of angle iron. Needless my tires dont like it and I dont like the shaking.
Well those are my problems in life and if you took the time to read them God Bless. Thanks, Louis aka upNovr [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 11:31 AM

Re: 2000 Z71 problems

Have you tried calling RCD. if it is a common problem maybe they have a fix.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 04:19 PM
redneck01z71

I had the same problem with my gas guage a while back. The fuel sending unit went bad. Take it to the dealer or a local shop.

the 8.25 in the front is an open diff and sometimes won't spin. At least one tire should but I bet you could bogg it down in sand and low tire pressure.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 04:48 PM
upnovr

Actually, I had my buddy checking the other side and it wasnt spinning on his side or my side. Dunes and rock crawling are my facorite pastimes, I just dont know to much about these newer trucks. I guess were going to have to go under her and start yanking crap out until we figure it out. I think Im going to try some spacers for the swaybar and see if I cant lift it some more. Ive got the swaybar yanked out on my 84 4runner, anybody ever tried this on these newer trucks? My toy has 35's, just have to take it easy on the turns. I have lifted the tires turning to sharp and to fast!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode