high mileage 350 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

high mileage 350

my 95 k2500 is running real rich. It has 145,000 miles on it. Mostly highway miles. It wont idle. It likes to idle at about 1200-1500 rpms and when I rev it up and let off the throttle it revs up and then slowly goes down to about 900rpm. after awhile it sputters and coughs and wants to die. sometimes it just flat out quits running. I really need some advice on what to look at. It also seems like my truck doesnt run at its full potential like it used too. when i drop a gear and floor it, it just doesnt seem like my old 350. Is this an injector problem? clogged injectors maybe? would I have to look into an idle air control sensor for the idling problem?? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: high mileage 350

Is the check engine light coming on? If so, the computer has some trouble codes stored you need to check out.
I would say check all of the obvious stuff first. Fuel filter, spark plugs/wires, etc. If its TBI, I would also pull the injectors out and look at them. There is a small filter on each injector that sometimes gets clogged up.
If it won't idle at low rpm, it could also be the EGR valve. If it stays open, it will let too much exhaust gas into the intake manifold.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

the fuel filter is new. i just bought an EGR valve and installed that. the plugs looked fine. it has a new cap and rotor also. ive gone thru alot of the stuff on it. yes my check engine light comes on when i drive 30 miles or so striaght. then i shut my truck off and start it back up and it goes away. i wasnt aware of a filter on the injectors. maybe i will try that. i think i might just buy new injectors for my truck. i plan on owning it for awhile so id like to work out all the bugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

how hard is it to remove both injectors? ive never done it before. anyway, i posted a pic of my truck. had some fun in the fresh snow. enjoy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

oops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1285304-IMGA0224.JPG (44.3 KB, 39 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
cedjunior

I'm not aware of any filter inside the injectors, and if there is one its internal and you wont be able to get to it. You need to find out what codes are coming up when your engine light comes on. Even after the light goes off the codes should still be stored.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

i think theres a screen of some sort in the injector. i was looking at some new ones on truckperformance.com and i thought maybe that screen would be clogged up. i did change the external fuel filter. i did hook it up to the computer. i remember one reading was low. i cant remember what it was off the top of my head. but im pretty sure it was some sort of vacuum leak. would a vacuum leak cause this???
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:24 PM

vacuum can do a lot of wird things. you havea 95...that means you might have OBDI or OBDII depending on the build date. look under your dash for the diagnostics port. if its square you're lucky. if its a parallelogram then you have to go have to codes read.
assuming you have a rectangle and the old compiter system, all you need is a paperclip. just bridge terminalA to terminalB
i.e. short the top row right most position and the Check Engine light will start flashing. it flashes codes in triplicate so you dont miss them. the first one is 12 i think.... that just means you;'re in diagnostics mode. the flashes after that are the important ones. three flashes a brief pause and then two quick flashes indicates code 32 (happens to be EGR valve) just post the codes you turn up and I'll decode them for you
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

well i had a talk with a local auto mechanic and i told him whats going on. i didnt mention to you guys that when my truck is just idling, it spits out lots of carbon chunks out of the tail pipe. he had me quite convinced the fuel injectors were clogged up or leaky. so im going to go for it and buy a set. i dont want to get any parts from napa. thats the only auto shop around here. i was wondering if anyone knew of any high performance fuel injectors for a 95 350. at a fairly cheap cost. those throttle body spacers caught my eye. anyone runnin one of them?? are they worth the buck? lastly. when it gets down to 20-25 degrees here, my 4 wheel drive doesnt engage. i let out the clutch and drive forward and all i hear is grinding noises and clunks. i dont know if its the cold weather making that happen but eventually it shifts into 4. fresh u joints too. any thoughts? thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 07:23 AM
Can't Get Enough

turbocity.com has all kinds of TBI parts. I am running a spacer on mine, and I would swear it gives me a little more power, especially off the line. And it makes a cool hissing noise. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode