Power steering hose - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Power steering hose

One of the brackets that holds up my York compressor broke the other day. Problem is that the belt that drives the compressor wore through the PS hose. It seems to be a little moist but not fully cut. The steering feels fine and I topped of the fluid but I had some questions. If I get a replacement hose how hard will it be to install. Is there any bleeding that needs to be done or do you just fill it up? Also, is the system under pressure? I am wondering because I am afraid of the hose bursting while driving. If this happens what should I do? Wouls it be OK to drive if it burst or would it ruin the pump. I think that I will get one of those hose mending kits for the mean time. Replacing the hose just doesn't look all that fun. There are little fittings and not a lot of space to work in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: Power steering hose

One other question. I have a small oil cooler and tranny cooler
(too small to hassel with using on the engine or tranny), would it be a good idea to maybe repalce the hose and run it through one of the coolers? The tranny cooler (smaller one) is about 2.5X10 inches and has an S tube going throught the fins. I was going to put the 2 on ebay but maybe I can finally use one.
If anyone is interested let me know if you want one.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 01:00 PM

Re: Power steering hose

Is it a high pressure line or the return line? If it's return it's low pressure and you can route that through a cooler. If it's the high pressure line you don't want to put a cooler or filter on it. And it's running about 1000psi so yeah it can blow. It needs to be a new line, no hose clamps and stuff, hose clamps won't hold up to the pressure.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode