How Tough are the New 4x4 2500HDs ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

How Tough are the New 4x4 2500HDs ???

Just wondering how strong the new 3/4tons are because im gonna be getting one pretty soon. Its gonna be a Duramax crew cab 4x4 shortbed. Just wondering how good the 4x4 works off-road (i know it depends on tires and lift), But how is the rear Limited Slip and Up front? Do they like to pull with all Four tires? How strong are the IFS systems? Im probably gonna put a 2 or 3in. Body lift with 33's... I would like a suspension lift but they are expensive... So after buying the thing i dunno about an expensive lift. Anyways.. Do they have any breakage problems? Or alignment problems with treating them a little rough off-road?? Is it the same suspension in the 1 tons or is it beefed up 1/2 ton stuff? Thanks Alot.. Any other Coments about the new trukcs I should know would be great. Oh and one more thing Hows the 6speed in the Duramax version? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 10:22 PM

Re: How Tough are the New 4x4 2500HDs ???

in the dmax HD at work we get about 15MPG while plowing...thats always nice. my truck doesnt get that on the highway
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hope to be getting a 2500HD DMax this summer sometime. But with gas prices going sky high I may just stick with a 1500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:16 AM

I know you would rather push a chevy than drive a ford but I think in the 3/4 tons ford has a lot more to offer for offroad. Solid front axle and way more ground clearance. Ever notice how low the frames on a new chevy 3/4 ton are. Looks like they will get hung up on a curb. I think with the body lift the frame will be even more visible and look lower.

Towing, daily driving is your choice but for offroad the superduty is designed much better.

Not to mention the 6.0L makes more hp and torque than the DMAX. Choice of 5 speed auto, 5 or 6 speed manual in the ford.

I don't think anything likes to pull with all fours tires unless you drop in lockers.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

The numbers really dont matter because each year they are out doing each other. And all the Big three are pretty easily modified. I love the new fords but ive always been a huge chevy fan and now with the duramax i just gotta get one. So I was just wondering if they we pretty strong. I know i wish they had a solid axle too.. but oh well. Its not gonna be a die hard off-road truck just fun here and there with some 33's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 04:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ford has had to many problems with there 6.0PS. And the new DMAX has 590 lb.tq. Thats more than the PS.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:58 PM

I really don't think you'll need a lift for 33's, depends on your backspacing and wheel width though. I've seen guys with the stock h2 wheels/tires on 2500's with no lift (even though they probably rub). Just something to consider.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

33's should not be a problem with the ifs, even though it is not the best.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 08:23 PM

I didn't realize they uped it to 590 ft*lbs. At this rate of increasing hp and torque the consumers might see 1000 ft lbs. Dodge just came out with the 600 ft*lbs cummins, so I guess ford is next.

Sounds like bugs in the 6.0s. I guess GM has the bugs worked out of the dmax/allisons by now. My brothers boss got a dmax/allison when they first came out. Within a few months he replaced the allison and had problems with it not cranking. He traded for a used powerstroke (7.3L) and has been running it a couple of years without any problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode