Z71 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 06:55 AM
Z71owner

Z71

I bought a 95 Z71 tuesday and its mostly stock... it has glassback exhaust... so i was wondering what should i buy first for it... im kinda limited on money but thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 06:58 AM

Re: Z71

you should buy 5qts of 80-90gear lube, a gasket or RTV, and 3qts of dex3 ATF, also 5qts of oil and a filter.
change your diff fluids, T-case, oil-filter, and then check the coolant and tranny fluid. they may need to be replaced first. take care of what teh truck wants before you take care of what you want for the truck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 07:38 AM

Good answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 08:31 AM

I wish we could moderate comments on this board. You'd get the first "+5 Insightful".

There are so many different mods for so many different reasons. Consider what you are going to use it for. Consider how far you want to go with it. Do you want up to a body lift or do you want something like Willyswanter has?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 09:38 AM

Drive it and have fun first. Before you go and start dumping money into the truck consider what you want to do with it. A lot of the cheap junk accessories that I bought when I got the truck are either broken or have been taken off. It was wasted money that could have been used otherwise [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 10:49 AM

well its been a few hours since i have posted my reply, so i assume you have all of the fluids changed (i know you don't but lets assume you do) now you get to look at what you want out of it. when i got my Z-71 i wanted a huge truck that would be all bad ass and what not. well thats expensive...and i dont use it off-road enough to justify the cost. and things break. with yuor stock set-up, you reallydont want to lift too high, because you cant run any bigger than 35" tires anyways. if you do you'll be breaking axles left and right.
if it were me and i had it to do all over again, i'd go for a 3" body lift making sure to weld in supports for the bed braces. i'd make gap guards to hide the hiddeous bed gap, and then go with some nice 33" tires. that'll get you where you need to go, it wont be too expensive, and as long as you dont put 4tonns of dirt in your bed, you'll never have a problem with it.

if you want to drop a grand and a half...get a suspension lift then ou can fit 35" tires, but like i said before...its just expensive.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:31 AM

If you lift it you should also regear. When you lift the truck and put big tires on it you increase the cross sectional area and as a result the truck is less of a speeding bullet through the air. If you do much of any driving or want to wheel in it you should regear. Say 4.10 or 4.56, that will get the tranny in a happy operating range again. Just thought that might help.
Michael
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 12:17 PM

going to 33s will only put the speedo off by 6% which isnt too big of a deal at 70MPH on the speedo you'll be going about 74 and the difference in torque is pretty negligable. 35s will make enough of a difference that you'll feel it. plus the bigger and wider you go the harder it is to stop them and the more wind resistance you'll feel.
i never regeared my z-71 on 33s and it oived a merry life. on 35s though if you dont regear, you'll definately feel it
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The first thing you shoulf do is get a pen and a piece of paper....write down every mod that you want to do or you think you want to do. Then search the internet everywhere and look at prices from different places and as lots of questions about everything you are going to do it so you dont waste countless dollars and stuff you dont need

If you got a question then ask away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode