This may sound crazy... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

This may sound crazy...

You might even say blaphemous, but I was thinking that as long as I was going to be doing an axle swap and need to deal with all the fabing and I want more power and fuel efficency anyway that I might be good to buy a wrecked (read rear ended or rolled) Ford F350 with the new 6.0L diesels and then swap the entire drive train into my Bummer.
This would mean axles, engine, Tcase tranny and all the electricals that go along with it.
Am I craxy or what do you guys think?
I probably can't afford the time or the money for such a project for at least 2 to 3 years so the 6.0L engine will probably be more available then. I know it's all Ford stuff but that way I know everything is compatible....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:26 PM

Re: This may sound crazy...

<font face="Comic sans MS">Why not just find an older one with SFA and the 7.3L diesel? </font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

I am thinking of the 6.0l because I have heard that it gets better gas mileage, and on top of that has more horsepower, something like 345hp and 500 and something torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:56 PM

hahahahahaha, hahahahaha, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha.

First off, the 6.0l's have a ton of problems, Injectors, leaking differential seals, all sorts of stuff. Messed up computer programs. I've had to bring mine in 2 times to get reprogrammed, and my rear differential is leaking already. I've had my truck since Oct 3 2003 and I've put 16k miles on it. So I have a little chance to "break it in", but still this thing won tbe broken in until like 300k miles. It is a good engine when it's all said and done. I've got 325hp and 560ft lbs of torque. With all things, you're gonna have some problems, but these seem to be pretty prone to problems. Check out www.TheDieselStop.com and read up on problems we've been having. My username on there is John_Wingfield or jwingfield2k, I can't remember but check out the problems I've had.

Just giving you some warning. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1281440-P1010021.jpg (77.0 KB, 3 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 11:00 PM

oh and on the highway i get 20mpg normally. I can get more with a clean filters or wind at my back.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. its a pretty new engine and hopefully some of the kinks will get worked out. My father has the 6.0L in his excursion and hasn't had any problems but then again he has only had it for about six or seven months. Thanks crazy all the trouble you have had. Does anyone have any info on the 7.3l in terms of horsepower and torque? and also reliability? I think that engine has like 200 or less horses thats kind of a downer. 20 mpg sounds pretty good to me. Especially since my truck is pretty light.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 01:25 AM
Mud in my Veins

The 7.3 has been around long enough that there are some fairly inexpensive mods that will make it really haul balls. I would shoot for the 6.0L simply for the 5spd auto or 6spd stick options, however [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:50 AM

Wingfield, watch out for Mr. Muddy. He might come after you and your truck. J/K.
I have heard of the stories about the engine. You could do what Jason wants to do, just get a 24V Cummins and call it good.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

My buddy has a new F-250 6.0l and has had a lot of problems with it too. He's had injectors gone bad, and his had his tranny replaced.

Laters, Ryan
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

24v cummins isnt the way to go unless you want to chip it. thats all it has on teh 12v, nothin more,

there is way more you can do with 12v than you can do with 24v and alittle less exspensive to, actualy you could make alot of power and spend next to nothin doing it when you first start moding it.

if im not mistaken jason is wanting a 12v, hed almost be stupid to buy 24v cummins he could do so much more with 12v with is money than he could 24.

that lest sentence was kinda joke.

my parents have had a few 7.3 fords, i think 4 in the last 5 years. first one was i think a 95, think that was the first year of the turbo and when we got it we thought holly crab this is trailer puln sonofa, then they got 97 that was even better, now dad has 99 and mome has 2000. all of them run with the best of em and have had only a few problems, all revolveing around glow plugs and the wireing harnins, and some stupid switch deal.

but im still gona buy 12v cimmins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode