Steering wheel wobble problem. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:31 PM
MustangGT92

Steering wheel wobble problem.

My steering column has been wobbling lately, and I hear according to Four Wheeler magazine that its a pretty common problem.

Apparently GM didnt use any loctite on 4 bolts that have to do with the tilt steering, and eventually they become loose and the steering wheel wobbles. They claim its a do it yourself fix.

I can't figure out how to get apart the steering column so I can re-tighten the bolts with loctite. Its an 89 GMC sierra, I take off the cap for the horn, take off a small pin on a bolt, and remove a fairly large nut, but it doesnt seem to do anything, the steering wheel is still firmly planted, and as far as i can see theres nothing else to go for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just started at this site but ive looked around and its awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering wheel wobble problem.

You better be carfull if you have a airbag when doing that. Pull the fuse first!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

You're going to need a pressure plate compressor tool and a steering wheel puller to get the steering wheel off. You then need a special tool to disassemble the pins to get the column to come apart so you can get to all the bolts. Otherwise I think you can only get two of them.

It's not a very easy job. I suggest searching the internet for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 07:02 PM
MustangGT92

Do you think I would be better off having this done by the dealer? seeing as theyve probably done this before a hundred times, and have all of the correct tools?

I googled it to all hell, I found a few places that stated that it was a problem, but nowhere that had any other info.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

It'd probably be cheaper for you to go buy a tight junkyard column and put the column in than have the dealership tighten it up. In the end, you'd have a spare column that you can tear apart and see how it works.

It's a time consuming job. If this is your only vehicle I suggest either finding a junkyard column or have a repair shop do it. Just about anyone will have the $45-50 worth of tools to get the job done. Get estimates everywhere.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 09:00 PM
MustangGT92

whats involved with changing the whole column itself? Isnt it even more work?

I'm gonna call around tomorrow. Thanks.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 08:15 PM
MustangGT92

one quick bump
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 07:46 AM
Can't Get Enough

Changing the column is a piece of cake. There's a couple of bolts holding it to the dash, then a plate at the firewall you have to take off. And four bolts holding it to the shaft in the engine compartment. There's a couple of plugs near the base of the column you have to undo.
I had to replace my column, and ended up getting a new-rebuilt one from columnsgalore.com
It was expensive ($200), but I really didn't want to mess around with something from the junkyard. When it comes to safety, it's easier for me to pay a little extra cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode