New Breakage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:00 PM
HOEBOGGER

New Breakage?

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]Me again. I got stuck in a mudhole last night up to my doors. Some thick soup. Long story short, I got out without a tow it just took an hour and a half. But I thought I was home free until I got to the car wash and noticed a horrible "clank" sound when reverse or drive was engaged. It drives fine though. Nothing out of the ordinary. Could this be my trans.? If not, what else? Is it safe to drive until I can fix it? Thanks for the help. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:40 PM

Re: New Breakage?

Sadly it could be many things. First, I would check the u joints on your driveshaft. Then check for water in the tranny, differentials, xfer case. By the way you're describing the issue, I would guess it's a ujoint going or gone.

Good luck with the vehicle. I hope you at least had fun while you were out there. I know it's not fun getting stuck, but getting there really is.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:04 PM

change your driveline fluids immediately. your vent tubes are lower than the doors and you likely have water i nthe fluids.
BTW you described the noise when you engage a gear, it is likely the u-joints. check them first as they are cheap and easy to repalce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What they said.

About being stuck for 1 1/2 hours.....thats nothing Me and my cousin were stuck for 7 hours one night. We went out to a mud hole about 8:30 at night and didnt get home till 3 in the morning. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 01:30 PM
HOEBOGGER

May sound like a dumb ? but how can I tell if it's "going"(u-joint)? At first glance, everything looks fine. I am currently operating with a broken arm, so I can't really dig in to anything very extensive.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 02:56 PM

well you and your gimp arm are gonna havea hard time testing it depending on the cast you have.
U-joints connect the driveshaft ends to the shaft. they are supposed to be very tight tolleranced. as in they shouldn't be able to wiggle. if you grab the driveshaft and the "other end" and try to twist them back and forth, it shouldnt have any play...or VERY VERY little play. most commonly the rear u-joint fails due to its being exposed to water more often, and becasue of the way the axle behaves under load (axle wrap) but thats a whole different thing there. basically check the u-joints for wiggling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode