spare tire carrier for 2dr tahoe - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Corndog

spare tire carrier for 2dr tahoe

I really want to get my spare out of the back of my tahoe, but I only want to put it on a swing carrier like the blazers have. Are there any swing carriers made for the tahoe, or could I use one from a blazer or another full size rig like a bronco?
I am new to the board, I was on the toyota board for some time, but now have seen the light.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 12:02 AM

Re: spare tire carrier for 2dr tahoe

Congrats on converting to a real truck [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Truely, i think that having it on the back is a huge pain in the ass, because you probably won't be able to even open the window without swinging it out. But to each his own....

I wouldnt' bolt one to the body like teh old blazers/broncos. I would either get one that mounts to the bumper, or replace the bumper with one that has a tire carrier. I don't know what other mods you have on your truck, so this may look odd, but this is what i would reccomend.

From 4x4 Iron you can get one like i described. Here is a pic of it on an older body style blazer.
But keep in mind that the tire carrier worked better on those because the windows rolled down into the tailgate rather than opening up, so you could still access cargo without swinging out the carrier.

Let me know if you like the idea of an aftermarket bumper with carrier, and ill post links to some others. The 4x4 iron one was just the first to come to mind, but there are many others.

Anyways, good choice in the 2 door tahoe!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:15 AM

I saw one on an OBS Suburban the other day. It actually was an extension of the trailer hitch bar that went around the end of the bumper and up to support the swivel for the spare.

I thought it looked kinda goofy, and would be absolutely terrible off road, but it is an option...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Corndog

could you put more links for similar bumpers. That is definitely similar to what I want.
And yes the 2 door tahoe rocks...I went out to the sand dunes this last weekend, and it ran like a champ.
Air raid cold air intake and throttle body spacer are the next things to go on!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 09:07 AM
HOEBOGGER

If you're openminded to other ideas I would just get a roof rack and tire mount. In fact, that's exactly what my next modification is. Granted you will throw off your center of gravity a bit. But it shouldn't be enough to notice much. Ive got a two door Tahoe as well. Ive also got the rear area full of subwoofers and am riding 35" Boggers. So in other words, fitting a spare in the rear is just wishful thinking. The roof rack looks good, and will serve as a lot more than just a spare mount. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:17 AM

hey darren, not to hijack the post, but on the same topic, can you post a pic for me of the spare tire setup in the rear? The bracket on Tim's tahoe doesn't seem to fit snug...I'm wondering if it's his installation jobber or if its messed up [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

I really like the ones from 4x4Iron.

http://www.4x4iron.com/default_files/page0050.htm

I don't know if they make anything for newer trucks, or you could probably find a shop that could fab up something similar.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 4x4 iorn is the best tire carrier I have seen but like others have said, you have to swing it out everytime you need in the back. The other option you have which i was going to do it throw it on top. But alot of kids with jeep cherokees have them around tow like that so i decided not to.

Another option is not not have a spare tire and carry a plug kit and a air compressor around with you.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:00 PM

i have always carried plug kit and sisy air sompressor. its handy to have with you. but i will never be without a spare tire. what if it was a sidwall issue? plugs arent going to do much for that
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:14 PM

Peacock

I do the same thing and guess where my first puncture offroad was at. Yep, the sidewall. Good thing I still carried the spare tire. My 93 S10 Blazer comes with a swingout tire carrier and it is not that big a deal, considering the alternatives. The one Darren pointed out seems to be of pretty good quality and it does not rely on body mounts which I have seen damage bodies on other vehicles, especially Jeep Cherokees.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode