Death Wobble! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 01:49 PM
bggrnchvy

Death Wobble!

Ok i've replaced ball joints, upper control arm bushings and inner and outer tie rod ends, but i still have a violent shaking when hard braking down between 50-40 mph, the brakes have to be warm for this to happen, any ideas what is causeing this? I have power slot rotors on it now to try to offset the big tires if it makes any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 05:02 PM

Re: Death Wobble!

pretty rotors doesnt mean that theyare straight rotots....something to consider
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 05:49 PM
bggrnchvy

I definetly realize that my rotors could be warped, im just hoping not. I only mentioned my rotor type in case anyone knew these rotors to be more suseptible to warpage. I still have to check them, Im just being really lazy today, I'll check them a little later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 06:43 PM
cedjunior

When you replaced your rotors, did your torque your lug nuts properly when you put your tired back on?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 07:23 PM
bggrnchvy

After replacing my ball joints i had my truck realigned and i just tried to get my tires off to check my discs and low and behold most of the lug nuts on the front end are tightened to something like 50 ft-lbs. I think i found my problem. Wheel works is getting a call tomorrow.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:58 PM
cedjunior

The lug nuts are actually supposed to be tightened to 120 ft-lbs. When the lug nuts are tightened unevenly, it can cause the rotor to warp once it gets hot.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 12:13 AM
bggrnchvy

I think that could very well be it, since my brakes didn't wobble until after i had my front end aligned. Before the ball joints were replaced this never happened. Is the tire place liable here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode