front drivers side outer cv joint - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

front drivers side outer cv joint

My CV joint (outer) has a small leak in the seal next to the brake stuff. As I drive if flips out small amounts of grease. Is there a way to add more grease and reseal the boot without taking the thing out or do I have to repack the thing? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] What would you guys recommend as the best and cheapest approach ( I realize best and cheap often do not go together) To solving this problem? I don't suspect that the CV joint is bad but then again I am pretty new to these parts.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 08:06 AM

Re: front drivers side outer cv joint

You can buy an aftermarket CV boot at most local auto parts stores, but consider this. How many miles are on your truck right now? How many of these miles are on that particular CV shaft? How long has it been torn? If its been like that for a long time now, your cv joint is probably getting worn a little from letting dirt in. I dont know how much they are anywhere else, but I sell Wolverine CV shafts at my store for $59.99 with a lifetime warranty. Just figure out mileage wise if its going to be more worthwhile to change the shaft out, or just replace a boot. The boot kit and clamp is around 25 bucks last I checked.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the info. I didn't realize that CV were that cheap. when you say $59.99 is does that include all parts I need to swap the whole thing out? Or do I need to buy the boot ad clamp kit as well? and how difficult a job is that? I have never done that before as my other truck was a ttb ford.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 04:10 PM
cedjunior

When you get a new shaft, it will come with everything from CV to CV including the boots already sealed up. You'll need to make sure you don't tear up your old one taking it out, the reason why they are so cheap is because of the core charge. They wont take the old one for the core charge if its not rebuildable.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 08:47 PM

Autozone took my last one as a core with the CV joint along with the boot completely destroyed. Autozone sells remanufactured ones for $80.00 if that's more convenient for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode