Body Lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 08:37 PM
94KBlazer

Body Lift

I have a 94 full size <nobr>blazer</nobr> im wanting to lift it about 4 inches so i can put 35 inch tires on it and i just want a taller look. Lift kits are very costly but i have noticed that there are just body lifts that are as much cheaper. Is there any reson i shouldnt get a body lift over a suspenion lift, whats the risks of that? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 12:28 AM

Re: Body Lift

Body lifts are pretty contriversial.
Most people seem to say that suspension lifts are better as they can improve articulation and don't put alot of stress on your body mounts or your steering colomn. Some even fear that a body lift that high could shear off some of the body mount bolts under heavy use which would be bad.
At the same time suspension lifts can be harder on drivetrain if the angles change to much and stuff like that. There are others in this forum that know more about this than I do though.
Personally I prefer the suspesnion lifts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 12:34 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Body lifts: Inexpensive, and you can fit up to 33" tires with a 3" one, yet you get no added ground clearance, and you have the ugly frame factor.

Suspension lift: High quality, real performance gains, and can fit up to 35" tires with a 6" one. Disadvantage- cost, oh yeah, you guessed it! Big moola!!$$$$$$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 08:20 AM

Body lifts do give you ground clearance, by allowing you to fit larger tires. Stock size is around 30-31 inches. With 33's you gain at least 1" of ground clearance with the tires. However, there are some suspension kits out there which gain you clearance in one area but you lose in others.

Example... I know two people with nearly the same truck... 94 Chev, ext cab short box. Same engine everything, just two different colors. One guy used a three inch body lift, and put 35's on his stock rims and trimmed just a hair (not even noticeable), and they dont rub. Other guy has a 4" suspension lift with the same tires. I have watched on MANY occasions where the guy with the susp. lift cant make it through some of the ruts at our local mud hole, and the guy with just the body lift can just walk through it... I have seen it too many times. If you are comfortable with a small budget lift, do it. I have had my 3" body lift on my truck for a year and a half now, and have jumped my truck, slammed it into the ground you name it, and its still holding together.

Just dont try the hockey puck method... get a good performance accessories kit and it should hold together as long as your body mounts stay on...

Oh yeah.. this is just my two cents. Flame on body lift haters! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 05:52 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Yeah, I can't really bust on body lifts. I'm putting one on later this year to clear 35"s in combination with my 2" suspension kit.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:33 PM
93RedBlazer

I've got 35's with a 3" body lift on my '93 fullsize blazer. just trimmed little in wheel well and turned up torsion bars 3/4"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:28 PM
somudo

my next upgrade to my truck will be a 3" body lift on top of my 3" suspension lift. you can fit 35's just with a 3" body lift, a little trimming and i think maybe twirking your tbars a little. it all depends on what you want. i used to drive an 89 1500 with a body lift and i didn't mind it that much at all. just dont go above 3 inches. i forgot which company but they even make sheet metal guards that go from your body to your frame in the fender wells to block it so you can't look all the way through between your body and your frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode