Maybe this weekend - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Maybe this weekend

I might be buying my axle this weekend. I think that I have decided to go with a 14 bolt SF because of cost. A FF will be cheaper but then I will will need new wheels and I am up a creek if I get a flat. I don't plan on running bigger than 35'sso I think the axle will hold up. I would love to do a SAS but the cheapest so far is a grand for a D44 with no brakes. Ultimate in the future would be a D44 and 14 bolt FF in the back.

Anyways, is the SF a smaller ring diameter? Smaller than the 10.5 in the FF? Will this be a problem or headache when I need to regear or install the Detroit? Also, is it any different converting a SF to disc brakes than a FF? More expensive etc? I might be able to get the SF with 4.10's. How hard is it to regear an IFS diff? Keep in mind all I have experience with is removing the cover and filling the housing with fluid. I want to build this axle up nice and take my time, I want to learn what I don't know, locker and gear install.

Just needed some answers to some questions, thanks for all the advice in advance.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:32 PM

Re: Maybe this weekend

Your ring diameter is 9.5... Gears and detroit shouldn't be a problem. Disc brakes are the same. www.tsmmfg.com is a site that offers the disc brakes
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Would going to disc brakes change the WMS measurement? The 14 bolt axles have huge drums. They stick out farther than my 10 bolt brakes. I am already afraid that my wheels will stick out too far because of these brakes. But if I go disc the rear end maybe too "skinny" Thanks
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:11 AM

Going to disc brakes won't change your stance. The wheels and brakes sit on the axle so there will be no difference between drum adn disc. Hey I found a site at FSCUniversity where a person does a writeup on the disc brake conversion. He claims under $400.00. That sounds about right for the parts he used. If you were to buy an entire kit, they run around $800.00 Here's the link.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/reardisc.shtml

I saw your other post with the new axle. Good luck with it. I'm not familiar with their innards so I can't help there.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:38 AM

And that setup also has no e-brake provisions.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

What is a better option that has an ebrake? Jason, does your system work on this axle? How much $?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:01 PM

Negative, mine is for full floaters.

You can run a caddy elderado caliper with an e-brake and it will fit those brackets but it's up to you to figure out the linkage of your cables to the calipers.

Or you can buy the kit from TSM that is all ready to go for you. But it's pricey...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

That's Jeff's writeup. I go to school with him. We're in the same club. He did it this past fall to his Yook.

He didn't know I did this with more common parts for $150 this past summer.

What I did is like what Jason did, you can either run the common caliper that you pick up for $15 or you can run El Dorado calipers for $120/each to get an emergency brake.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

What about pulling some from a junk yard and rebuilding them? What year eldorado?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode