4wd quit working - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 10:26 AM
imported_Beast

4wd quit working

I have a 1990 chevy 3/4 ton 4wd.The other day I was backing up to a trailer in my yard.I got out hooked the trailer up an when I got back in the light wasn't on anymore and it wasn't in 4wd.There is a wire that does to the front diff that sometimes comes unpluged and then the 4wd quits.It's still connected though.

Any idea's on what it could be.

Thanks for anyhelp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 11:18 AM

Re: 4wd quit working

That wire goes to a thermal actuator thingy that engages the front axle. Look into getting the posi trak or posi lock. I forget the name. It is a manual engagement of the the front axle via a knob in the cab.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 11:58 AM

Yeah, your actuator is dead. Either get an electronic one and adapt the wiring, or get the posi lock cable one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:22 PM
imported_Beast

I found it in summit looks like it's 170 bucks.Anyone know how hard it is to install?

Also does anyone know the price on a new actuator?I will probably go with the posi lok.

Thanks for the help.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 05:49 PM

170 sounds way steep, i though it was more like 130-140. Go to here for a writeup
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/4x4posi-lok/

or http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/4x4posi-lok/
for their website.

I would go for this just because it isn't going to fail again like the electronic/thermal ones will.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:25 PM

I installed one on my '98 S-10 and it was relatively simple. The only gripe is that the instructions kinda of suck.

You'll have to figure out where you want to drill, and there will be a period of making adjustments until you're not paranoid about it.

And, of course, the
Site for it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:26 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Central 4 Wheel Drive, 4WheelParts, and Summit all have it for about $170. You might find it cheaper, but not much. But definitely a good buy if you go that way.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:03 PM

Ok, maybe the price i guessed was for an electric one.

Anyways, i really want a posi lock too. Everytime i NEED 4x4, i worry its gonna die. Like yesterday, i had my truck 1/2 way into a lake to try and jump start a boat, and no way i would have been able to back up the bank again without the front wheels. But luckily i made it, and the damn thermal actuator is still working.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 12:49 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

You're lucky, mine is actually stuck in the locked position, so the only reason I'm not constantly in 4x4 is because it unlocks at the transfer case, but that front driveshaft is always turning! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] When I put the gears up front I'll definitely get a Posi-Lok.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:50 PM
imported_Beast

I will be installing a posi loc in the truck pretty soon.My 69 c-10 is in the garage right now.When it's done this truck is going in.And getting a posi lok and a painless wiring kit to lock up a 700r4 torque convertor.The truck was 5 speed when I got it.I put a 700r4 in it.But it didn't have the wiring for the convertor.

I always had problems with the wiring going to front diff coming unplugged.That happened one night in the woods on a trail.The back tires where in a ditch and the front tires where on dirt.I had to crawl under the truck in the mud and hook it back up.(Then I made it 100 foot and got stuck again.That was a "fun" night.)

Hopefully I won't have to do that again.

Thanks for the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode