97 K1500 Steering Woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Matt S.

97 K1500 Steering Woes

I just had the pitman and idler arms on my 97 K1500 pickup replaced. Items to note are truck has ~80K on it and I've been running 265/75R16 BFG AT KO's for about 40k miles. There was tons of slop in the steering before that is now gone; however, now the steering is somewhat jerky. Hard to explain, it's like it takes extra effort to get the tire moving, but when they're started the boost is OK. Mechanic did mention it needed an alignment, but not from the work he did. Truck has never been aligned, so it is probably due. Could this just be an alignment issue, or is there something else that could need fixing now that the linkage is tight?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Matt S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 06:13 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Re: 97 K1500 Steering Woes

If the truck has never been aligned, and the camber/castor are out, you're going to have to have the knockouts taken out beforehand. I'm not sure about the whole "hard to turn" part. I suppose it could be a problem in your power steering, but it also might be the fact that you aren't used to the steering being tight.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 06:56 PM

check your ps fluid. look into the EVO sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Matt S.

Do you mean level or quality of fluid? I think the level is fine but will double check. Will the EVO sensor throw a code if malfunctioning?

Thanks!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:19 PM

the level of the fluid. as for the EVO, its a sensor that senses the speed of the truck and adjusts the tension on the steering wheel. when that goes out, the steering gets goofy...stiff during a turn..then it loosens up, and craziness like that. Kinda like the truck has a mind of its own. anyway, its located in the steering column and costs about $50 at the dealer.

no it will not set a code. not to my knowledge anyway.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Matt S.

So how often do these EVO sensors wear out? I already had that replaced once (truck is 6.5 years old with 80k miles). Dealer did it then, is it easy to replace yourself? My problem is time to do this stuff.

Thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:20 PM

not a clue
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:11 PM

I think '97 was the first year they had those EVO sensors. So since it's the first model year with a new toy they're bound to go bad from time to time.

Kind of heard this from "a friend of a friend" but I understand this is common item to go out on the full-sizes from '97--'98. I wish someone would make a hardier unit if this is the case...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode