Found a 14 bolt!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Found a 14 bolt!!!!!

I found a 14 bolt with 3.73 gears for $200. Is this a good deal? I will want taller gears later but for now it has what I need. It does not have a locker or anything but has the brakes.
Questions: From what I have searched about, the 2wd 14 bolts will work in the 4wd (spring pad with etc) Will all the brakes etc work as well?
How about the conversion for the u joint. I could not find any for sale. Would it be worth while to get the one off this guys truck? Also, will my stock driveshaft length be ok to use withthis axle? I am pretty excited and I think that the guy can be talked down. Thanks for all of the help and let me know if I am forgetting anything, besides the wheels.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM

Re: Found a 14 bolt!!!!!

If its from a 2wd, does it have 5 lugs? I don't know if yours is 4wd, but I assume it is, then you have 6 lugs. I know 10 bolts have either 5 or 6 lugs. If the 14 bolt does have 5 lugs, you would have to get a conversion kit for it to allow your wheels to be put on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:46 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Yeah, if yours is 4x4, make SURE it's a 6-lug axle. You will need a u-bolt conversion. I'm not sure who makes one, but you'll need one. The stock driveshaft will work. Other than that you should be good, and if you already have 6-lugs, you won't need new wheels. $200 sounds like a good price too. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:55 PM

Don't want to burst anyones bubble here, but they dont make a 5 lug 14 bolt, even in a semi floater. I am sure its something that could be converted, but its just not made that way. They used the 14SF in HD versions of the 1/2 ton and light duty 3/4 ton trucks. I have been checking the junkyards around Flint here and they all want 500 bucks for a 14 bolt... so I would say take it and run with it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:08 PM
cedjunior

I just did a 14SF swap this weekend, and much to my surprise it used the same size U-joint as the 10 bolt did . Also, all 14 bolt axle are either 6 or 8 lug, no 5 lug. $200 is a good price. I paid $700 for mine, but it also came with a locker and a 6 month warranty.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

14FF or 14SF?

All 14FF are 8 lug.
14SF can be found in 8 lug, 6 lug, and 5 lug. The 5-lug 14SFs were used in the 454SS.

That's a very good price for a 6 lug 14SF. If it's 8 lug then it's worth nothing as far as I'm concerned. I even value 10 bolts more than 14SF 8 luggers.

Spring pads and shock mounts should be in the same spot but I'd measure anyway. The driveshaft should be the same but I'd measure the axle anyway. Measure from the pinion yoke centerline to the centerline of your axle tubes to check to make sure yours and the 14SF are the same.

You'll definitely want to check out the parking brake cables. I've noticed that they can vary quite a bit.

You can measure his universal to find out what it is. It's probably a 1310 or maybe a 1330. I can't remember if you can put a 10 bolt yoke on a 14SF or not but if you can that'd be an easy fix.

Well, that was a whole lot of worthless nothing. Eh, oh well. I'll post it anyway.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Ok so I found another guy that has more axles that he can handle. He has D44 and 60's from Fords. He said he will check on the prices of those for me. He has 14FF with drums that he will part with for 200, they have 3.73 or 4.10's in them. He also has them in 2 different brake sizes (drum). He said he also has 14SF 6 lug, he gets 350 for those. If he had a 14SF with disc I would be all over that. Just an update.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:59 PM

before you go stickin an axle under your truck, make sure its the right width wms-wms. it'll look pretty funny with a narrow butt! i only say that because it was mentioned earlier up about a 2wd axle...and those are narrower than 4wd axles.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:59 PM

The 14 bolt 6 lug has different wms distance just like the damn 10 bolt...it's a 3" difference or so between 2 and 4wd. If you get the 2wd one you'd have to use the 2wd rims on the rear because they have a different backspacing to get the tires out more. It'd look 99% normal then (slightly deeper dish on the rear rims but no one would notice) I went through this [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] when searching for a 10 then eventually a 14 bolt diff for my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode