6.0L Fuel Economy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

6.0L Fuel Economy

I was wondering what anyone has done to get better fuel economy out of there 6L. I have found that i get almost 20% better fuel mileage while towing a 7000#+ trailer than i do everyday driving. I am happy with the power( more is always better, LOL...) but would like better daily fuel economy with out taking the trailer everywhere i go. LOL...
BTW it is a 2003 2500HD auto. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Lnedermeyer

Re: 6.0L Fuel Economy

whats your secret with the trailer, i get 10 maybe 11 mpg if i'm lucky without one, but i guess it's a large price to pay for power. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I still have to do the math, but that is about what i get daily. As for towing I just put it in Tow/Haul mode and let it do its thing. LOL.... The economy comes fromthe reprograming of the tow mode, but without the trailer it just holds the gears to long for daily use. I have been wondering if the programers would be able to adjust the regular mode for better economy. Well enough to justify the price that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Lnedermeyer

nah, not enough to justify the price. it will firm up your shifts, and can adjust your speedo for bigger tires. but unless you got an extra $300 laying around, it's not worth it. The best thing to do is find a body with the same truck, and go in on it together, wish i had. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 11:22 AM

What I understand on the programmers is that they are good for only 1 <nobr>vehicle</nobr>. They program themselves to the VIN of the first vehicle. Am I wrong anyone? The programmer can only read settings/codes from every other vehicle it is hooked up to.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Does any one have any info on the 1 truck only thing with the programmers? Does anyone have any suggestions other than the programer?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

So nobody has done any upgrades to there 6L and gotten better fuel economy? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

My Aunt and Uncle have a 2003 2500HD with the 6.0L. On the highway they get 13mpg and around town 11mpg. Towing they get 10mpg if they don't have to deal with wind or mountains.

They're [bleep] stupid for not buying a truck with the 496. Still get the same gas mileage but you've got buckets more power.

I think it's just a side effect of moving a 7000lb truck around all the time. Really, the 6.0L doesn't have enough low-end gonads for a truck that weighs that much.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Lnedermeyer

unfortunately it's hard to get better gas mileage in a computer controlled truck. all of the tuning in the computer to achieve better gas mileage was already done at the assembly plant. if you want better mileage, get a 6 banger. unfortunately power costs money. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Wrath, there is definately no shortage of power. If anything there is to much the way it is tuned with no load. I had to go to taller and wider tires (cheap regear) to stop the tires from spining everytime I started off from a stop. That is about the same milage i get daily, but when I load up the trailer the mileage goes up and that is towing into the mountains. Lnedermeyer, I know the problem is in the programing, so I guess the only real solution is to have the computer reflashed. I wonder if they will give me a better price if I have them do my Jeep at the same time. LOL.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode