Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   6.0L Fuel Economy (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/188507-6-0l-fuel-economy.html)

Mudman99TJ 03-08-2004 12:45 PM

6.0L Fuel Economy

I was wondering what anyone has done to get better fuel economy out of there 6L. I have found that i get almost 20% better fuel mileage while towing a 7000#+ trailer than i do everyday driving. I am happy with the power( more is always better, LOL...) but would like better daily fuel economy with out taking the trailer everywhere i go. LOL...
BTW it is a 2003 2500HD auto. TIA.

Lnedermeyer 03-08-2004 10:39 PM

Re: 6.0L Fuel Economy

whats your secret with the trailer, i get 10 maybe 11 mpg if i'm lucky without one, but i guess it's a large price to pay for power. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Mudman99TJ 03-08-2004 11:02 PM

I still have to do the math, but that is about what i get daily. As for towing I just put it in Tow/Haul mode and let it do its thing. LOL.... The economy comes fromthe reprograming of the tow mode, but without the trailer it just holds the gears to long for daily use. I have been wondering if the programers would be able to adjust the regular mode for better economy. Well enough to justify the price that is.

Lnedermeyer 03-09-2004 07:09 PM

nah, not enough to justify the price. it will firm up your shifts, and can adjust your speedo for bigger tires. but unless you got an extra $300 laying around, it's not worth it. The best thing to do is find a body with the same truck, and go in on it together, wish i had. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

blabhern 03-10-2004 11:22 AM

What I understand on the programmers is that they are good for only 1 <nobr>vehicle</nobr>. They program themselves to the VIN of the first vehicle. Am I wrong anyone? The programmer can only read settings/codes from every other vehicle it is hooked up to.

Mudman99TJ 03-10-2004 12:21 PM

Does any one have any info on the 1 truck only thing with the programmers? Does anyone have any suggestions other than the programer?

Mudman99TJ 03-15-2004 11:49 AM

So nobody has done any upgrades to there 6L and gotten better fuel economy? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

wrath 03-15-2004 12:41 PM

My Aunt and Uncle have a 2003 2500HD with the 6.0L. On the highway they get 13mpg and around town 11mpg. Towing they get 10mpg if they don't have to deal with wind or mountains.

They're [bleep] stupid for not buying a truck with the 496. Still get the same gas mileage but you've got buckets more power.

I think it's just a side effect of moving a 7000lb truck around all the time. Really, the 6.0L doesn't have enough low-end gonads for a truck that weighs that much.

Lnedermeyer 03-15-2004 06:42 PM

unfortunately it's hard to get better gas mileage in a computer controlled truck. all of the tuning in the computer to achieve better gas mileage was already done at the assembly plant. if you want better mileage, get a 6 banger. unfortunately power costs money. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Mudman99TJ 03-15-2004 10:31 PM

Wrath, there is definately no shortage of power. If anything there is to much the way it is tuned with no load. I had to go to taller and wider tires (cheap regear) to stop the tires from spining everytime I started off from a stop. That is about the same milage i get daily, but when I load up the trailer the mileage goes up and that is towing into the mountains. Lnedermeyer, I know the problem is in the programing, so I guess the only real solution is to have the computer reflashed. I wonder if they will give me a better price if I have them do my Jeep at the same time. LOL.....