rear view compass mirror - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

rear view compass mirror

anyone ever added a rear view mirror out of a newer chevy, one with the compass and auto-dim, to an older truck. If so how hard is it to wire up? My mirror needs replaced and thought i might want to add something like this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Re: rear view compass mirror

Anyone? Anyone at all? Also if anyone has a wiring diagram of how its wired in that would be great too. Thanks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 01:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've wondered the same thing, I also think it was available in 98's... I'd like to have a compass because in florida its hards to till which way your going because its flat and full of trees. And because no one dims theyre high beams behind me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

haha ya its the same way here... only things are flat and well not to many trees... i have been looking on ebay and have found serval ppl that are selling them with insturctions and wiring harnesses. I have found out that the supplier of the mirrors to GM is Gentex. So if you do a search in ebay you will find some.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ill save yall some money......look up at the sun, It comes up it the East and sets in the West.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:57 PM

Ya know... if your truck was BIGGER, you wouldnt have to worry about those other idiots headlights... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Lnedermeyer

do what i did, and get a couple of used off road lights, brighter the better, and mount them under the back of the truck , and wire them to a switch, if someones driving with there high beams on behind you, flip the switch.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

My cousin did this to his 99 classic only the mirror had autodim, compass, and temperature. He yanked the wiring harness out of a truck and put it in his (I forget year). My cousin is an ASE Master Mechanic but I wouldn't say he's any better at anything than me and you can probably do anything I can do. He works at a dealership and I think he said it'd cost $320 for him to buy the parts.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:43 AM

I know you're making a funny, but...

When I go down to San Felipe, Mexico it ALWAYS screws me up, because the sun rises over the ocean and then sets on the mountains. Since I live in Califor-nee-a, I'm sorta used to it being the other way around!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:46 AM

I can confirm that. I have the compass and dichromic mirror on my '98.

Sometimes I'm not even sure the auto dim thingy works. But then again a tinted back window helps too with the bright-light crowd.

I guess as long as you have an accessory lead and ground you should be able to wire it no problem. Not sure if it has it's own fuse. Pretty sure it's just part of the accessory line. If that thing needs to pull 5 amps of power to need its own fuse I need to rip it out and put in a manual one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode