Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   axle shafts (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/188086-axle-shafts.html)

HOEBOGGER 03-01-2004 09:50 PM

axle shafts

Yet another axle question. I now have the dreaded(so I hear) stock 10-bolt rear that Im thinking of swapping. Ive heard so many horror stories Im now tip-toeing around every trail I come across.
Now then, rather than doing a complete swap how realistic or effective would it be to just replace the stock shafts for now? Can it be done? If so, would it be worth the money? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

u4ia4 03-02-2004 01:29 AM

Re: axle shafts

chrome molly shafts are stronger

Krayzie 03-02-2004 06:19 AM

14 bolt axles are stronger. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

oooh... how about 14 bolt axles with chrome moly shafts??

Anyway, I still wish I had half of my old 4wheeling videos... I have been running a 10 bolt in my truck with a super brute posi for two years now, and I may be the person that defines - beating on a truck -

I run 33 inch tires, and my 10 bolt has never complained once about it. The shafts in it are stock, and I upgraded the ring and pinion gears to a heavier Precision Gear set. Personally, if it aint broke, dont fix it! I have been waiting for over a year for my rear axle to blow on me. I want to upgrade to a 14sf. But ya know what?? My 10 holds up to the worst torture I have given it (even filled the diff with mud and water once at the mounds!) and it JUST WONT BREAK!!! So do what you feel is right. Just my two cents... [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

u4ia4 03-02-2004 09:17 AM

yup, dont bother replacing till it breaks. i upgraded to chrome-moly shafts one at a time as the others shattered on me.

willyswanter 03-02-2004 09:48 AM

I've got 4340 through hardened shafts for my 14 bolt... Haven't used them or ran them till this build though...

If you want good shafts, talk to Superior, absolutely the best shafts made right now for anything. As soon as I get an extra 3 grand laying around I'll be filling my 60 with them [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

u4ia4 03-02-2004 10:29 AM

at that cost i'd just carry spare stock shafts

willyswanter 03-02-2004 10:39 AM

I do but replacing them on the side of the trail in the rain all the time gets old... I'm installing Yukon 4340 shafts in a week or so when I drop my arb in and they should last pretty well, also running the new forged 806x spicer joint. Should last pretty well...

**DONOTDELETE** 03-02-2004 09:46 PM

Im with out Krayzie, I have game my 10 bolt hell and its still hanging in there. I thought for sure it would have been broke by now.

Miller 03-02-2004 11:23 PM

you must change those shafts everyweekend in the rain and mud.

seriously how many shafts have spun twisted shatterd or what. my guess is its less than a handfull.

no way in hell I ever spend 3 grand on axle shafts.

why dont you just pack around a complet dana60 that you can tos under the truck when something brakes.

willyswanter 03-02-2004 11:24 PM

I've broken 3 stubs, 5 joints, and 1 innner so far... The 3 stubs were 30 spline though, haven't broken a 35 yet...