OT Digital camera - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

OT Digital camera

I just picked up a new digital camera. My quest now is to get some pictures on here. I can get the pictures on my computer. Now how do I put them in a post. Do I have to compress anything (Don't know how) or put them in a community web space? Are there places on the internet where I can put pictures in a "photo album" I know some of you have something like that. Are they free? Are they hard to use? I just don't want to take a lot of room up on my computer. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 12:50 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT Digital camera

Sony Imagestation will allow remote linking if you're careful. So you can put pictures directly in posts, instead of as an attachment. That link is to sign up. It is free, and not hard to use.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 02:11 PM

yeah the pictures for here have to be under 100K which is plenty big. you canset yuor camera to different resolutions which makes this kinda easy, or you can also resize them. i just got a digi-cam a month or so ago and had to figure it out. i have my camera set to high resolution sicne i have a 512MB card for it. when i get them on the computer i save them and adjust the image size (pixles) and also the quality. a "low" quality of like 20-30 looks fine when posted online. you'll just have to play with it a bit. as far as the remote linking and stuff, i dont know about that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 02:52 PM

4x4mike

I use Webshots.com. It's free to set up and download up to 5 pictures a day. If you want more, you pay for it. I also use their screensaver and wallpaper.

Enjoy your camera.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

512 MB! Did that come with the camera? Or did you get some kind of deal on it?
When you say that you download the pics onto your computer how do you resize them and make them smaller?Or adjust their pixel size. I have a Sony DSCP72. It comes with the stuff for your computer but I didn't know if I need something more to shrink pictures.
Thanks for the help BTW.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 07:17 PM

<font face="comic Sans MS"> I have a 512mb *and* a 256mb card in my camera currently... I want to get a 1gb CF card and a bigger XD card as well... That's one of the cool things about mine, I can have one stick each of CF and Xd cards in there at a time and switch between them with the push of a button... The downside to this camera is if I take 90 pictures on the highest quality setting, the cards are full...

You reduce the number of pixels the image has... There are a number of ways to reduce file size... I tend to use a stripped down version of adobe photoshop (elements they call it) for all that stuff... There are easier programs out there for those who want it... </font>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Those companies are a pain in the butt to use. I remember when the internet was free and you could remote link pictures. I remember when free webhosting existed that was worthwhile.

I recommend registering a domain and buying some webhosting somewhere. I remember back in the day when I used to pay $120/year for 10GB of data transfer and 100MB of disk space. Now I pay $85/year for 40GB of data transfer and 2GB of disk space. There are some things that are worth spending money on and this is one of them in my opinion.

I get my webhosting from Webmanix. The customer support is pretty crappy but you can't beat the price. http://www.webmanixhosting.com/packages/index.php

There is a program called Galleries that automatically resizes your images, creates photo galleries, creates a thumbnails page, and creates a slideshow page. I could never figure out how it worked but it seemed to be pretty simple. It's what my slideshows on my website are based on.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 09:52 PM

i got a deal on the card at office max of all -places. as for resizing, i just use the photoshop software that came with it,. there wasnt anything as far as directions go for it, but i clicked around for about 15 minutes and figured it out
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I use MS Photo Editor for resizing and changing gamma/contrast.

I got a deal on a card at Office Max also. $70 for a 256MB Secure Digital card. I already had a 64MB. I always resize my pictures down to 800x600.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 01:10 AM

One other thing I forgot about also is most times your internet service provider will also provide you with some room on their server for your pics as well. Not much room but its a good start and you're already paying for it so might as well use it. Check with yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode