Upgrading to a 14bolt SF, different length drivesh - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 05:34 PM
cedjunior

Upgrading to a 14bolt SF, different length drivesh

Ok as I mentioned in another post I got a huge dent in my axle housing tube from some road debris, and I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade to a 6 lug 14 bolt. Now I have a few questions. First off, I know the pumpkin on the 14 bolt is bigger than the 10 bolt, so am I going to need to shorten my driveshaft to make up for the longer pumpkin? Or can I keep my drive shaft as is?

And

Ok I know the 10 bolt G80 = dooky

But what about the 14 bolt SF G80? Is that a grenade waiting to go off as well, or is it more durable because its in a bigger axle?

Also, if there any anyone here with any leads on a cheap 14 bolt SF, your help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 05:39 PM

Re: Upgrading to a 14bolt SF, different length drivesh

I've got a 14bolt SF on mine with 140,000 miles on it. It still "locks" when it's supposed to. I hear that over time they wear out but it hasn't happened to me yet. I'm waiting for it, then it's upgrade to a true locker.

I can't tell you about the drive shaft. I'll run out and measure mine the next time I get a chance.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:11 PM
bggrnchvy

I have a 14 bolt sf with 141,000 miles on it with the G80, still works great. I use it off road like twice a month. The axles shafts are 33 spline so they are much less likely to break, as for the carrier and the G80 istself i have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:39 PM

Re: Upgrading to a 14bolt SF, different length dri

The 14bolt G80 is a lot stronger than the 10 bolt version. Ive heard that the 14bolf FF g80s are actually pretty good, but i don't know if its the same one in the SF and FF. But yea, don't worry about getting a 14sf with the g80. good luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Journeyman

You can keep your original driveshaft. The new 3rd member will probably have a different u-joint. When I put mine in I got a u-joint that had the two different sizes and it bolted right up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 07:54 AM

Thanks for that reply mtntoy. That saves me from having to get under the truck.

Good luck cedjunior with the upgrade. sounds like its gonna be pretty straight forward.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did the swap a couple months ago. As already stated, the driveshaft bolts right up but you will need the conversion u-joint. One problem I ran into though was that the u-bolt mounting plate that goes under the axle for the 10-bolt won't fit the 14-bolt. I needed to find those plates which took some time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the 14 sf is very good axle. it is striaght bolt in with a conversion ujoint and ubolts and mounting plate. get ahold of OFF ROAD DESIGN and get a ubolt flip kit when you install that axle, it puts the thread up and smooth rounded ubolt down under the axle. lots better than threads down.

my 14sf is open(no locker) its got somewhere close to 260 270 thousand miles under it. the last 60-100 thousand have been alot of offroading its had 33s and up for that long

my rouch estimates for mileage are because the odometer quick right at 200k that was bout 4 years ago
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with The Kid, get the OFF ROAD DESIGN ubolt flip kit. It will cost about the same as new u-bolts an and ubolt brackets.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 04:40 PM
cedjunior

The ORD Kit is already in the mail. I called a local dealer about getting the stock u bolts and mounting plates. He told me something about how they have them made locally, and they cost $22 per-u bolt [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Anyway, doing the swap this weekend. I I had that 14bolt in the back of my truck, and I got a friend to help me take it out and lay it down in the back yard so I could clean it up an paint it. Damn was it heavy!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode