Are my axles strong enough? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 04:37 AM
HOEBOGGER

Are my axles strong enough?

Hello all, Im new here. I posted a few nights ago,(Ithought) but never saw it post. Anyhow, I have a '98 Tahoe 2 dr. with a 6" BDS susp. lift, and 35/14.5/16 Boggers. I was going to put ARB's front and rear but I started wondering what the odds are of breaking the 10-bolt rear or thrashing the IFS. I don't get too crazy wheelin', but I do get into quite a bit of mud and a few hill climbs every week. I don't want to spend the money on ARB's and tear everything up. If there's a good risk of doing something like that, how can I toughen everything without doing a SFA conversion? Remember this is my daily driver, and my only d.d. at that. I cannot be w/o my rig for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 05:49 AM

Re: Are my axles strong enough?

Well, popular opinion says no you should'nt lock up a ten bolt. And you found an ARB for the 8.25 IFS diff?? Just my two cents but thats a disaster waiting to happen. From the searching I have done, there is no real way to beef up the cheesy stock components. The front diff case is aluminum, and I have seen several of them bust when unlocked. Most often they shatter as soon as you catch traction to both wheels.... After I purchased my first set of mud tires, I found that I had to completely change my wheeling habits with them, because I could feel the shake in the drivetrain when they spun then suddenly grabbed traction... I have been lucky so far I suppose.

Back to your question... if I were you, I would locate at least a 14bolt SF axle for the rear of your truck and lock it up. That should hold up well for a long time... The front axle works fairly well unlocked (at least in my experience it has... check out the pics on my website and you can see what I put my truck through...). Regardless, and I know you dont want to hear it from yet another person, but SFA is really the only way to gain any kind of wheeling worthy strength and reliability for hardcore - locked up - wheeling. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:13 AM

this is my second truck with detroit locker i nthe rear. I've run 31, 33, and now 35" tires without problem. i snapped one axle shaft last year, by a fluke turning into a driveway. never off-roading or while ragging on it like i was andretti. the 35's havent seen muchdirt. not a whole lot of time to play with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:21 AM
HOEBOGGER

Thanks Krazie, I already know of a guy with a 14 blt. he's looking to sell. That will save me some money too. Should I go with ARB's or OX? Maybe even something like and eaton or detroit. I know they're expensive but I figured I'd save some money in the long run. Both, by getting something dependable, and one that's not going to thrash my boggers up any quicker. One guy was talking about putting an Auburn/Eaton combo on. He said that would toughen it up plus give me better gearing. I'm not sure what my gearing is now. But it could always be better. Kick ass web page man! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 AM

Peacock, with teh 35's you've only got the v6 though.

Anyways, I'd look into a detroit for the rear (if you can deal with having it locked all the time), or i'd look into a selectable like the ARB or the new e-locker. With such a short wheelbase, i'd guess a selectable would be best because if you ever were on ice/snow you would probably have more control without it.
Good luck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 09:59 AM

true, 35s are with a V-6 for now. 31s and 33s were with a mild 350 and a manual trans...driven by a guy with no mercy for the drivetrain
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 05:43 AM

Any way you lock the rear end will make your truck tons more wheelable. I personally love the detroit lockers, because they are super dependable and arent too noisy that they ruin my life on road. Right now on my truck I have an Eaton Super Brute Posi in my ten bolt. At our local mud pits (The mounds in Mount Morris) I can walk through the real nasty stuff that the bigger trucks have a hard time with. The posi works good until I get the back articulated and then it stops working... So I too am currently on the prowl for a 14SF for my truck. I know a guy that works at a huge boneyard that owes me a favor, so I think I will call today on it.

Just trust me on this one, just by adding one rear locker you will think your truck is unstoppable at times. Keep us posted with your findings and lets see some pics when its all done! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 08:44 AM

yup, my current vehcile is 2WD but locked up and it does better thana lot of "4X4s" my Z-71 with the detroit went through a lot of stuff i didnt think a fairly stock vehicle could do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode