Coil Over's for Chevy IFS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:07 PM
bggrnchvy

Coil Over\'s for Chevy IFS

We all kno that damn cross memeber for the torsion bars in our chevy's makes lifting and then wheeling a [bleep] fest (torsion bars suck my ass!!!). But anyway i was looking at ROCKKRAWLER.COM they have a coilover system for 99 and up chevy's and the system just uses coil overs in place of the front shocks. It looks like the coilovers would fit on a 88-98 truck. Has anyone seen or thought of this or has anyone got a 99 and up chevy with this kit. I just hate torsion bars and want to get rid of them. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Torsion Bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:17 PM

Re: Coil Over\'s for Chevy IFS

yeah, i alrady have the front coil over set-up on my rig. it wasnt too hard to set-up either. when the truck was ordered, the purchaser checked the "C" box instead of the "K" box in the drivetrain section.

i think you biggest problem converting would be in fitting the coils on TOP of the a-arm assembly so they dont interfere with the CV shafts. i can get you all the pics you need of the stock set-up. let me know and I"ll snapp away
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:43 PM
bggrnchvy

Wow, thats amazing. Thanx for sharing that...could you snap some shots of what your talking about unless all it is is a 2 wheel drive truck. That would in no way help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:05 PM

uhmm, yes, it was a 2wd. and yes, everyone wants coilovers and its been talked about before. like u4ia4 said, its hard finding enough room on the LCA to put a coil spring...the CV joints is in the way.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:50 PM

It's actually rather simple if your willing to fab new a-arms. Seen it done on quite a few trucks.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 08:07 PM

ys mine is a 2WD. making this set up on a 4X4 seems simple in theory and it is, but it seems like quite a bit of fab work to get it working right. so time and money are going to be a factor. and at that point most people opt to go SFA because you ge the flex and also add strenght
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:51 PM
bggrnchvy

Is the space between the cv joints and the shock different by all that much between the 88-98 trucks and the 99 and up ones? I ask because as in my original post, rockkrawler suspension put out a coilover suspension lift for 99 plus chevy's. I think with there new brackets for shocks and these coilovers it may be possible to do. How much do you guys think these lifted 6" coilover shocks might cost?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:09 PM

The shocks will be about $400 each with coils. The stock a-arms are not designed to have the load on the part that would hold the shocks... They are designed to have the load where the torsion bar slides in. Like I said, some custom fabbing and your set.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 08:13 AM

OK, I had to bite here. This is what you are looking at? Rockkrawler Suspsension Chevy Page

Was looking good right up until the blocks...

Anyway, I'm going to shoot them an e-mail later on asking this same question. Also try to figure out how they plan on getting 15" of front wheel travel in here without mentioning severe CV angles. Unless they go with a different type of CV shaft.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 05:23 PM
CoronaCustoms313

Im looking at putting the same kit on my 03 Silverado 1500 z71. Another concern I have is how strong the upper coilover mounting bracket is? Is it going to be able to hold the weight of the truck and be abused for as long as I own my vehicle? I was going to try to order the Fox coilover's with the reservoirs and dump the blocks and add-a-leafs for some Deaver springs.
Has anyone installed this kit on a 4wd silverado ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode