Tranny shops in Sac area :( - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Tranny shops in Sac area :(

Ok, so my transmission started grinding randomly. Its been slipping for a while, so im guessing this is the last step before it dies. Doesn't grind when shifting, but im guessing its grinding when the tc is engaging/disengaging. Didn't get to really check it out, its raining like a bi%ch out rite now. Hopefully its just a ujoint or something.... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I serached, but didn't find anythign this time. I remember a performance rebuild for a 4l60e was like 1400-1800? That sound right? What have you guys paid? What do i need to specifically ask for in terms of upgrades besides a HUGE cooler?

And lastly, anyone have tranny shop reccomendations in the Sacramento, Ca area?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 10:21 AM

Re: Tranny shops in Sac area :(

Sacramento Transmission Exchange. They are a little spendy but they know what they are doing. They will beef it up for you and turn out something nice. I have had 2 rebuilt there, different trucks. I have sent friends there and they were pleased. They are on Folsom Blvd. Call around. You can also call S&H 4 wheel drive, I wouldn't deal with the Cottman people on Arden though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks! I think it may have just been a loose heat shield. It made teh noise this morn, then stopped, and still shifts fine. I couldnt' get it to make the noise when i got it to a tranny shop.

But i did figure out one of my other noises, its pinging. This is bad, cause its been doing this for a while, i thought it was a ujoint or something mechanical.

Anyone care to explain causes/fixes for pinging? I've got a little idea what it is, but not much. THanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 02:14 PM

pinging is caused by preignition. either the compression ratio is too high for the gas you're using, the heat can be too high adn its acting kinda likea diesel, or the timing can be off. try running premium gas to see if that helps. if not its likely the timing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode