Ideas on how to remove rolled on paint? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Ideas on how to remove rolled on paint?

Well first off to let you know what’s going on and why im asking this question. Late Saturday night (Feb 7) our 89 F-350 Flatbed was stolen from our business lot. Our only work/delivery truck we have at the business. It was recovered Monday afternoon about 2 Counties away from us. It was found at a chop shop/meth lab. I guess they were going to use it to haul there stolen cars with.

Anyway it was a really good looking brown color and they rolled on white paint all over the whole thing, and painted the bed silver. They also ripped (not unbolted) the mirrors off, paint the front grill black, changed out the rear dual tires with some junkers. Mounted tool boxes to the back of it. In one day they completely junked the truck, it looked as if they had it forever. We had a large New Delta tool box on the back with tons of tools, we recovered about 80%. Never found the white delta tool box, front chrome guard, or the original rear wheels. Steering column is busted; truck is in really sad shape. Tranny or T-case is whining and they tore the clutch up in it. It looks like they have been doing this sort of thing for a long time. I saw a 2002 Chevy Durmax truck, only thing left was the cab, front clip gone, no frame, no bed, no roof or anything completely striped out. We found our tools all over the place, in other vehicles they had and in there house. The sheriffs were nice enough to let us search any where we want to. Sad part of the whole story is the truck doesn't have full coverage [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] . Anyway just had to vent there, back to the original question does any have any good ideas for removing rolled on white paint from the truck? Dad is thinking about getting a steamer from someone. It doesn't appear as they sanded it before they painted. Any help would be great. I attached a pic so you can see the damage. My uncle who runs a body shop did an estimate on the damage they did. Total was $9,100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1261635-truck1.jpg (68.8 KB, 74 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Re: Ideas on how to remove rolled on paint?

Here is a small before pic of the truck. Only one we could find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1261637-truck.jpg (31.2 KB, 71 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 08:40 AM

yup, try the steam wahy,and if that doesnt work, you'll have to sand it down to the original paint. this will of course scuff it up so you'll likely have to have ir repaointd, but with a connection i nthe body industry, painting alone shouldnt cost too much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 11:30 AM

I take it that you only wanted to remove the white paint and preserve the paint that is underneath? If the paint underneath is going to be toast I would use a stripper. The chemical strippers would make short work of the rolled on paint but it would be harder to get off the black.
How long did they have the truck? It sounds like they spent some time on it. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

They had the truck a total of a Day!!! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] They made the truck look like they had it for ever though. In one day they had removed the rear tool box, mounted two other tool boxes to it, swapped rear tires, removed front cattle guard, removed mirros, painted the whole truck in white, painted bed in silver. The pictures i posted make it truck look good compared to what it acutally looks like.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Ya we would like to try and save the paint, if possible. i know the doors are going to have to be re painted as they caved them in when the ripped the mirrors off. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] We are still waiting to find out how much damage was done to the tranny or t-case. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode