88 2500 automatic? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

88 2500 automatic?

I'm looking at an 88 2500 pickup, @120k miles with 4WD and an auto, I assume its a 700r4??? The owner says that the tranny keeps going back and forth between 3rd and OD around town but if you put it in 3rd its fine and if you put it in OD on the highway its okay. To me this sounds like the tranny is starting to go, it seems to be common for them to lose 3rd and OD eventually from what I have read. Am I most likely correct or could this be something as simple as a cable adjustment or fluid/filter change? I have been looking at rebuilt trannys and although the truck is only $2000 another $1000 for a new tranny isn't really in the budget right now. I would be using this as my DD and occasional tow rig for my Jeep. Any help or ideas would be appreciated as well as anything else to check out on the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:18 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Re: 88 2500 automatic?

From what I hear, the reason a tranny will switch between 3 & 4 in the city in OD is because when the engine feels too much strain, it makes the tranny shift down to accomodate for torque loss in the higher gear. Usually caused by large tires, or heavy loads. My truck doesn't do it much, just on the highway with a headwind. Hopefully someone else knows more about this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 PM
TONAWANDA454

Re: 88 2500 automatic?

You should never have it in O/D around town. Leave it in 3rd and only use O/D on the highway where it wont need to shift back and fourth. The tranny could very well be wearing out if the owner ran it in O/D everywhere and there is 120k miles on it constantly shift from 3rd to O/D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode