Play in Steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Play in Steering

Ok, i realized how unsafe my steering has become. I did what was reccomended and checked it out, and there slop in a few locations. The steering arm to the tie rod, the other fake steering arm (idler?) to tie rod, and each end of the tie rod to the smaller arms that go to wheels (sorry about terminology, isn't SFA so much simpler?). Anyways, can these bushing deals be replaced easily? Do you need a press? I want ot replace everythign but the steering box and see if it solves enough of the problem.

How hard would those bushing and stuff be to replace? Tools involved? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 02:17 PM

Re: Play in Steering

well i hate to break the news to you, but the pitman and idler arms are not directly connected to the tie rods. the centerlink is a solid piece connecting both the tie rods together to the pitman and idler arms. in any case, you got slop.

the tie rods are the things that connect the knuckles to the center link. its a 2 piece link.

the centerlink is a solid round bar that sits horizontal; oiit connects the pitman and idler arm, as well as to the tie rods.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok, now i got the terminology straight. There's slop between teh pitman/idler arms and the center link, and i think between the center link and the tie rods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 03:17 PM

your slop is probalby about like mine which is in the pitman and idler. i need to replace both. they are both on my repair list, seems like once i get one thing fixed something else breaks [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] . When you replace them get Moog parts they seem to be the best.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

So you just have to replace both those arms? How hard is that to do? I'm guessin you need a puller....

Is it just on the sfa trucks, or is it a Pain in the ass to remove the pitman arm on these trucks too?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:50 PM

Yeah... its still a pain in the @$$ to change the pitman arms on the 88 and newer trucks...

You need a two jaw gear puller. First take the gearbox bolts loose. Separate the pitman arm from the relay rod. Take the intermediate shaft off at the box. This can be compressed up and out of the way. Pull the box bolts out and heave it up into the engine compartment. Now you can pull the arm off with your puller. I have gotten this procedure down to an art, and it takes about twenty minutes to get it all apart and the new arm on. I personally have not found a better way to do this job than that. Good luck to ya man!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:54 PM

You know shorts, I love your posts. I love seeing a woman that knows her sh** about trucks and cars! I wish my wife would catch on and learn a bit herself, but she sells candles and has no interest in my lifestyle... oh well. When I need my fix, I just pop on here!! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok, more time/tools than i have here at school, anyone in the Sacramento Ca area wanna do it for me? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

THanks!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 09:25 PM

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] thankx [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 11:43 AM

Do you live in Sacramento now? Going to CSUS? Well I am here and I have done it before. Actually the first time I did it was at the Napa in Moab. Maybe if you were here I could help you out.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode